1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't open VCF on Galaxy S5 Need Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shokez, Oct 30, 2014.

1. shokez

shokez Lurker

Hi there,

I just switched from an iphone to a Galaxy S5 last week and am having tons of trouble with the simple task of opening a .vcf file from a text message. Someone sent me someone's contact from an iphone, it's a .x-vcard file. I saved it to the phone's internal memory after realizing I couldn't automatically open it, and can see it when I use the file browser app, but I can't find any apps that will open or even see it. I've downloaded three so far.

This seems like a very straightforward function and I can't figure out why it's so hard. If anyone can help me out, please do. I'm running the newest OS, 4.4.2. I wonder if this is some kind of glitch. No matter what app I download, when I find the .x-vcard file via 'My Files' it says "there is no app that can open this." What gives?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If you open your contacts and then press menu>import/export you should be able to import the vcf cards. If you want a little more "automation" you could try an app like Contacts VCF.

3. shokez

shokez Lurker

Hi. That was the first thing I tried. I think the problem is the odd extension. It's not .vcf, it's .x-vcard. I wonder if this is an iphone-android incompatibility thing or something. I can import .vcf files but it won't find or see an .x-vcard file.

4. lunatic59

I think it's just a silly iOS naming rule. x-vcard is the xml format for files with the vcf extension. Try renaming one of the .x-vcard files to .vcf and then see if you can import it.

5. shokez

shokez Lurker

Not a bad call, do you know how to rename files inside android's device storage, or will I have to transfer it to a computer?

6. lunatic59

If you're using the stock file browser (I think they call it "My Files") then you long-press the file to select it and then press menu>rename.

7. shokez

shokez Lurker

Unfortunately that only works for the first part of the file, it doesn't allow you to rename the extension, I just tried. Looks like some compatibility glitch, I'll have to put it on my computer. It sucks because I think every time someone sends a vcf with that extension I'll have to use a computer to get the data....that's an oversight on the Android team's part, unless it's a problem specific to my phone.

8. lunatic59

Oh jeez, that's the Samsung app's shortcoming. Try X-plore file manager to rename your file extensions.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews