• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't play mp4 videos, what else should I try?

yamyam

Lurker
Aug 5, 2010
I've used Handbrake as recommended in this helpful thread (Put Videos on Droid) to convert .avi files to .mp4. I got a "Sorry, this video cannot be played" when I try to play it on my Droid.

I also tried downloading an .mp4 file from a YouTube video (as converted by file2hd.com). But I still get that error message.

I know this topic has come up before and it usually seems to be the way that the file was converted rather than some kind of setting on the Droid. What else should I try?

I've used Handbrake as recommended in this helpful thread (Put Videos on Droid) to convert .avi files to .mp4. I got a "Sorry, this video cannot be played" when I try to play it on my Droid.

I also tried downloading an .mp4 file from a YouTube video (as converted by file2hd.com). But I still get that error message.

I know this topic has come up before and it usually seems to be the way that the file was converted rather than some kind of setting on the Droid. What else should I try?

Did the .avi file have a DRM (copy protection) associated with it?
Also with handbrake did you set it to the ipod preset or did you try custom settings? These are just a few things I can think of.

Upvote 0
Converting non-MP4 video to MP4 is a pain and generally complex. I've done a lot of it. In fact, my home Linux server includes shell scripts to convert video files ad-hoc so that I can quickly grab videos to watch on-the-go.

The only tool I've used that is reliable is HandBrake. It's a cross-platform app with a GUI and command-line tools that make converting to a proper format a snap.

The problem with using anything other than HandBrake is that it becomes extremely difficult to choose all the video, framerate, etc. options that go into making a watchable MP4.

HandBrake is easy. Feed it a source file, click the "iPhone/iPod Touch" button, click "Include 3G Support", and start converting. Every single file I've converted comes out perfectly with those settings, every time.

Bill Stone

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. The original .avi files don't have DRM on them. I first used handbrake starting with the ipod preset and tweaking, then tried handbrake with just the ipod preset. Then I tried Format Factory - still no luck.

I can play the converted files on my desktop, just not on the droid. Any other thoughts? (Thanks again in advance!)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. The original .avi files don't have DRM on them. I first used handbrake starting with the ipod preset and tweaking, then tried handbrake with just the ipod preset. Then I tried Format Factory - still no luck.

I can play the converted files on my desktop, just not on the droid. Any other thoughts? (Thanks again in advance!)

For the droid you want to use the iphone/ipod-touch preset not the original ipod. Not to say it won't work but the output file will be an .mv4 if you use the iphone preset.

I checked the old thread that had the Rock Divx Player link and it is no longer any good so I am not sure where to get it. If you decide you want it PM me with an email and I can send the app to you.

Reactions: yamyam
Upvote 0
Thanks, JM33 and skilaufen - Rock Divx player worked! (Skilaufen, I meant to say ipod/itouch preset, which never did work.)

One question - the download I found said it was a demo version. Any idea whether that version is going to expire?

Sorry, Don't know when it is due to expire, but generally when they expire another one is released. It is a way for developers to make sure everyone has the latest versions and such.

Upvote 0
The other reason it is called a demo version is because it is not final. It was actually leaked, if I remember correctly, by a beta tester. Hence why it is not on the market. I don't remember there being an end date, but as stated above, a new version would likely be released. Sadly it may mean a paid market app as well. Hopefully it will remain free or reasonably priced.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue I downloaded an mp4 file but my pixel xl is feeling g me can't at this file. Bit on every other device it works . I use mx player which I have been using for many years. I do t think it's the app I think k it's the device and a restriction I recommend. The do an. Apple where you only are able to play files that you downloaded from the play store it self. Which would be a bummer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones