1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Cant Play Recorded Video

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by YamR1, Jul 24, 2015.

1. YamR1

YamR1 Member
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    Ran into a couple problems tonight not sure if they are related.. First, I recorded a couple short videos maybe 20 seconds, but when I try to view them I get a can not play video message. they are stored on the SD card and I read that maybe that was the issue so I moved them to phone and same problem. Then I try to send a pic in a text message with the stock messaging and it shows they send but the recipient never receives them after multiple tries.. If I take the pic from the messaging app it goes through fine.. Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Wirral, Merseyside, England
    Hi, is your MMS (Multi Media Messaging) set up, your carrier should have downloaded the settings to your phone but sometimes they don't. If you go to "Settings" "More Networks" "Mobile Networks" "Access Point Names", you should see a setting that includes MMS. Phil

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Are you using the stock video player or a different one?
    I've been using this one w/o any issues.
    * MX Player - Android Apps on Google Play

On Textra which I use for SMS/MMS, there is a setting to force DATA on if it happens to be off when you send a pix or short video.

I try to always send videos via WiFi though thru a webhost, or email if short enough.

4. YamR1

YamR1 Member
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    The MMS is set up.. It seems to be an issue with the gallery maybe?? When you say video player im just using the gallery to open them.. Not sure if thats considered the video player??

5. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Yes, that is just using the OEM multi-media viewer, which can handle movies as well.

If you install an optional one, you will be offered up a menu to select a Default Always, or Just Once.

6. YamR1

YamR1 Member
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    I have been reading where samsung has removed a lot of codecs.. Why would they put out a phone that cant even play back its own videos it records??

7. YamR1

YamR1 Member
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    Ok, here's something strange. I was messing around and if I go in gallery and open the video then go into the studio for editing it will play the video.. although its a small thumbnail..

8. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    My S5 which is now about 18 months old handles movies okay with the OEM codec.

9. YamR1

YamR1 Member
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    So you're saying the stock gallery should be playing video?

10. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Well, it does on my Samsung S5.
    I just took a video a couple days ago at a restaurant to show some friends the Asian cusine there, viewed it on the phone just as soon as it stored on the SD card.

just for shi...ts n grins, I cleared the defaults to see what's on my Phone, I now have "Video Player", MX Player, and Photos with the Google pinwheel to choose from.

Video Player was the default at first, it comes up in standard tiny mode and won't display "Landscape" unless you activate "Landscape mode" by pulling down the Notification drawer.

Then I clicked on MX Player... that immediately went into Landscape mode as that is the way the video was shot... so MX Player is lots better than "Video Player"

then I opened the same video in "Photos" and got the same tiny little screen as before with Video Player.

I'm going to change my default to MX Player, must have downloaded it and not changed the defaults and forgot about it.
    That happens when you are eligible for 'old age disease' :rofl:

11. YamR1

YamR1 Member
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    Sorry, it was my fault.. but when you said "video player" It made me think. I had frozen that app with titanium backup as I thought it was just an extra movie player type app.. unfroze it and all is well.. DOH!

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.