1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't power off after rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Seanette, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

What the heck did I do?

I went through the root process last night, following the directions in the posted guide VERY carefully (used the Gingerbreak method). That part went fine. I removed a very few stock apps (all social stuff VM seems to think belongs in the system) that I never use, being very careful to look them up to see what they did before I zapped them.

My phone will not completely power off, either in lock screen or "desktop" screen, it just reboots. My husband reports that his rooted Triumph will fully power down from the lock screen, but not from the "desktop".

I'm not aware that I changed any setting that should make any difference. Aside from rooting-related apps, I did install Root Explorer and Dr. Web Light. My husband has both of these as well. DH did change the shutdown and startup sounds to get rid of VM's blare, making the same changes on both phones.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mobstergunz

Mobstergunz Android Expert

1.you just said what your problem is..... you removed the startup and shutdown sounds

2.deleting anything in the system is potentially harmful in your case it caused the phone to reboot since it doesn't have the necessary files (shutdown sound) to actually shutdown

3.the only fix would be to flash a stock nandroid or stock rom

4.deleting the sounds isn't what makes the animations silent never do this

5.i can make a flashable zip tomorrow for anyone that wants silent startup and shutdown animations

Seanette likes this.
  3. ziggy46

ziggy46 Android Expert

yes, that is exactly what causes the weird boot/shutdown issue...

just do what mobster said and one of us will hook you up with a correct method of silencing the bootup/shutdown sounds. :D

Seanette likes this.
  4. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

I'm making my husband put them back right now (he saved them, plus info on where they were, so with luck I won't have to restore or re-ROM). :)

I'm OK with some sound, I just hate the stock ones (both volume and content). Is there a safe way to substitute sound files for startup/shutdown?

5. Mobstergunz

Yes I will make that into a flashable zip tomorrow

Seanette likes this.
  6. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

Is this flashable ZIP going to wind up with me having to reinstall apps?

7. Mobstergunz

No it will just replace some files in the system to make the animations silent

8. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

OK, when you said "flashable", I thought you were talking about a ROM. I got confused (not unusual for me around here). :)

9. Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock Well-Known Member

What I did, on both phones, was to remove the following files:

• /system/media/audio/ui/VMU_Power_Down_48_24.mp3
    • /hidden/data/Power-on\ sound/VMU_Power_Up.mp3

And as it turns out, the operating system wants those files to be present, and creates these odd symptoms if they are not.

I've now, on both phones, put new files in, at these same locations, with these same names, containing much less-obnoxious sounds. This seems to have fixed the problem. Both phones now shut down and boot up properly, but much less obnoxiously.

Seanette and agentc13 like this.
  10. mantera

mantera Android Expert

Mobstergunz and Seanette like this.
  11. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

I did want some sound to tell me about shutdowns and startups, I just really hated the stock sound files. I've found and installed replacements as my husband (Bob) detailed, and I'm content now (at least until I decide to change the sounds again).

Thanks for the input, everyone. I do appreciate all the helpfulness.

12. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

You can put in any .MP3, as long as it's named /system/media/audio/ui/VMU_Power_Down_48_24.mp3 and /hidden/data/Power-on\ sound/VMU_Power_Up.mp3

What Mobstergunz was referring to is a file you could flash in ClockWork Recovery. If you haven't replaced your restore.img file, then you may not know what we are talking about. It's like the second "geeky" thing most people do to their phones. If you know your was around with RootExplorer, then you should be able to do it that way also. Let us know if you have any problems, there may be permission issues we can walk you through.

13. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

As far as I know, my restore.img should be fine. We figured out the filename issue and I now have a shutdown sound I like (not terribly happy with how the startup came out after some sound editing, but I now know how to fix that).

Motorola Triumph Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews