• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't receive gmail mails on default email

lbaloyi

Lurker
Jul 11, 2011
Hey guys

I'm having trouble with using my Gmail account in the default Mail app on the Galaxy SII.

Upon setup, the Mail app autodetected Gmail, the IMAP server, the port just as described on the Google settings page: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=114408 , and downloaded recent emails without a problem. So it definitely does reach Gmail servers.

However any subsequent emails are never synced with the Mail app even when i try to refresh and it gets hung up on "refreshing" literally forever, I tried going back into Account Settings and Incoming settings and it still hangs forever.

When Gmail sync is turned on in Contacts > Accounts, email is pushed without problems - but to the Gmail App. I can't seem to find a way to get it to the Mail app instead!. I've had the phone a few days now and have tried to remove the Gmail account but it still hangs on remove forever.

I suspect the problem could be that the phone somehow can't handle Gmail App and Mail app at once. Push email to Gmail App is immediate and works fine...all I need is for Gmail to work in the Mail app instead of the Gmail App. I am able to uncheck Gmail sync in Accounts, which stops it going to the Gmail App, but does not make a difference to the Mail app - still no mail pushed!

Sync is enabled wherever I can tick it...IMAP in place...whats going on? I don't believe for a second that an Android phone would be this unfriendly to Google's own mail service and know there's some simple thing I must be doing wrong...

Please help im sooooo confused!!!!!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones