• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't receive text from only some people

andfo

May 26, 2015
I got a new phone (Galaxy Nexus, Verizon, Android 4) from Swappa.

I went to Verizon store to activate my phone, and to test if texting works, I and Verizon staff shared some texts.

And I could get some text messages from some of my friends. But I can't get texts from many other friends.

I don't know what happened.

I am trying to figure out whose text I am getting and whose text I can't get.

Until now, the two friends I can't get text from are in the same Verizon family plan as me.

Is it common that people in the same Verizon family plan may not be able to get text message after getting a new phone? (Especially if the Verizon staff made some mistake?)

Are the people who can't text you iPhone users, and had you previously used an iPhone? The commonest reason for some people not being able to receive texts is if they are former iPhone users and have not signed out of iMessage - then anyone with an iPhone who tries to text them will end up sending iMessages instead, and iMessage is only available on iOS devices (Apple's choice). If that is the case there is now a way of signing out without having an iPhone (there wasn't for a very long time, despite Apple knowing about this problem) - a quick web search will find it (I don't have the link to hand).

If you are not a former iPhone user or they are not iPhone users we'll need to see what someone familiar with Verizon has to say.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Had the same problem with an Oppo Find 7. Every time I tried to use Textra, I'd be missing texts, even from the carrier.
I keep the texts they send when you pay the bill. Didn't get any for 2 months - would go to TMO store, rep would text from HIS phone and I'd get that, but nothing else. Couple of friends had problems, too.

Finally had to find an app to customize the default text, and used the default ever since. Not my druthers, but it works.

Upvote 0
Don't fall into a way of thinking SMS (text messaging) is as universal as email. With email you can always exchange messages with anyone else no matter if they're running a different operating system, going through a different ISP, in a different country. But that's not the case with texting. SMS is more fractured and conditional, you and your recipient need to be using the same app/service for that same kind of seamless exchange.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones