• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant receive text messages, missed niece's birth!

graceful

Lurker
Sep 16, 2011
I started getting the notification "phone storage is getting low" which Ive gotten before even though I have plenty of storage. As a result I stopped receiving text messages (although can still send) I followed all the different tips on this forum from moving apps to sdcard to clearing caches until the "low on storage" notification finally went away.

Still couldnt receive text though! Missed texts telling me my niece was born! I got angry and did a factory reset...and nothing. Called Verizon, the guy did a whole bunch of stuff and nothing. Told me I would have to get a new phone since there is nothing left to do. But I dont want to spend the $ (although Verizon offered me iPhone for $100. which is great but still...) What other options do I have???

Welcome to the forums, graceful.

Sorry you've had serious problems with sms like that.

One other option is to once again removed cache and data (both) from your stock messaging app, then go to Android Market and download/install Handcent or one of the several other highly rated sms apps (assuming of course you have not yet tried that ;)).

Be sure to power down, then back up between clearing cache and data and when you install the new messaging app.

Reactions: graceful
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, graceful.

Sorry you've had serious problems with sms like that.

One other option is to once again removed cache and data (both) from your stock messaging app, then go to Android Market and download/install Handcent or one of the several other highly rated sms apps (assuming of course you have not yet tried that ;)).

Be sure to power down, then back up between clearing cache and data and when you install the new messaging app.

No I hadnt tried using another messaging app. Tried it now and still nothing =(

Upvote 0
I spoke with HTC and they say that this is a known issue that the Incredible is having since the Android Update 2.3.4 and they are "working on a solution". This is very frustrating!

Wow. That's one of the more serious "known issues" I've heard of now, as far as coming from an upgrade to the OS.

My heart goes out to you. I think I'd be inclined to go ahead and purchase a new device just to get things going as they should, then work on getting reimbursed.

Upvote 0
I spoke with HTC and they say that this is a known issue that the Incredible is having since the Android Update 2.3.4 and they are "working on a solution". This is very frustrating!

That sounds like BS to me (there are quite a few people on this forum alone running gingerbread with no SMS issues)... I'd suggest doing another factory reset.

You could also try running the gingerbread ruu, or the update.zip file from recovery.

Are you able to send texts? What about receiving mms messages? Have you tried sending a text to yourself from the phone?

Upvote 0
Actually there are quite a few Incredible with Gingerbread owners with this "can't receive texts" issue.
Its not happening right when the Incredible gets the 2.3 update. It just happens at a later time. Each phone is different on when the error occurs. HTC does have a fix now from what I understand. Apparently they now have a website where u can download the official fix. I have read where a couple of people have call the HTC support number and told where and how to get the fix and it worked. But nobody has posted a link to this website. I will call tomorrow myself to confirm. If you wanna try the # is 866-449-8358. You have to call between the hours of 1:00am -6:00am EST. I guess cause HTC is in Taiwan.

Reactions: crazycatlady23
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones