• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't Root Galaxy s5 (AT&T SM-G870A)

I tried using Towelroot and it said "Phone not supported". I also tried using King Root and that failed as well. I used to have root but then one day the phone updated. (even though I clicked no) So now Google apps won't work because my hosts file got edited and I can't edit it without root. (I already tried factory reset)

VERSION: 4.4.2 KitKat
CARRIER: AT&T
MODEL: SM-G870A

I tried using Towelroot and it said "Phone not supported". I also tried using King Root and that failed as well. I used to have root but then one day the phone updated. (even though I clicked no) So now Google apps won't work because my hosts file got edited and I can't edit it without root. (I already tried factory reset)

VERSION: 4.4.2 KitKat
CARRIER: AT&T
MODEL: SM-G870A

Hello and welcome to Android Forums MagmaDude :)

You should be able to download the stock AT&T, Android 4.4.2, firmware for your Galaxy Active, see below, and flash it with Odin by following the instructions and video in the links of #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Model SM-G870A
Model name GALAXY S5 ACTIVE
Country USA (AT&T)
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 1542323
Build date Fri, 09 May 2014 13:11:08 +0000
Product code ATT
PDA G870AUCU1ANE4
CSC G870AATT1ANE4

Failing that, it is a trip to the nearest AT&T store for a re-flash.

Then you can attempt rooting again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums MagmaDude :)

You should be able to download the stock AT&T, Android 4.4.2, firmware for your Galaxy Active, see below, and flash it with Odin by following the instructions and video in the links of #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Model SM-G870A
Model name GALAXY S5 ACTIVE
Country USA (AT&T)
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 1542323
Build date Fri, 09 May 2014 13:11:08 +0000
Product code ATT
PDA G870AUCU1ANE4
CSC G870AATT1ANE4

Failing that, it is a trip to the nearest AT&T store for a re-flash.

Then you can attempt rooting again.

Thanks. I will try that. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones