1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can't Root your phone and nothing works? Try this.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by RadioActive1, May 9, 2012.

1. RadioActive1

RadioActive1 Lurker
    None

May 9, 2012
    Retired - 30 years in IT industry
    Frisco, TX
    OK, all you have to do is look at my number of posts on here to know that I'm a noob at things Android.

Rooted my Android phone sometime back using Beezy's "One Click Root". This past week started having problems with the phone and had to have Sprint re-flash the phone.

Came home, installed some apps, and tried to re-root the phone. Beezy's app ran to completion but when I re-booted - no root access.

I then proceeded to try everything under the sun including:

- SuperOneClick
    - Androot
    - FlashRec
    - HeroRoot

None of them worked.

I worked in the software industry for 30 years and if I learned one thing, it's "if it worked before and doesn't work now, something changed", and usually, from my experience, that "something" is a software or driver install. So I started ticking off things to answer than question. Then I had a hunch - I had installed Avast! Antivirus.

Decided to reset the phone back to factory, in case some app was causing the problem. Re-booted to Recovery and flashed Rootme.zip.

Bingo!!! Root access again.

So, if you're having trouble rooting your phone and have ANY antivirus app installed, uninstall it. Also be aware that even with an uninstall, some virus scanners leave remnants that can still cause problems.

Hope I'm not telling people something that is common knowledge.

RadioActive1

Advertisement

IOWA and Demache like this.
  2. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well its not exactly something that doesn't make sense. The anti virus was blocking the root method since it thought it was malware. Not surprising since rooting can give apps complete control of the phone.

Good advice regardless though.

3. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Rerooted Nexus. Had no problem getting root - phone worked, I had root access, but couldn't get phone to see internal SD card. It wasn't the AV - Eset screamed about SuperOneClick and one other on download. Could have been the firewall this time. The firewall usually asks about unknown files, so I probably messed up.

I finally used the Cyanogen Wiki and installed CM7. Eset is still complaining about a ZIPPED SuperOneClick file, but hasn't complained about Cyanogen Mod.

4. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Because Zipped Cyanogen doesn't have any exploit .
    SOC ,z4root,androot all come with android exploits which are used to break/crash adb shell to root . Antivirus/Firewalls detect exploits whether windows or Android .

5. RadioActive1

RadioActive1 Lurker
    None

May 9, 2012
    Retired - 30 years in IT industry
    Frisco, TX
    UPDATE: Lost my root again yesterday, and now suspect that Avast was not the culprit, but an OTA update clobbered my root.

In any case, did ANOTHER factory reset, and this time installed Voodoo Root Keeper. Also installed Cyanogenmod7.

Hopefully things will be stable now.

Thanks,

RadioActive1

6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Mine was the OTA update. I liked ICS, but all my stuff was backed up with Titanium before the update and I wanted Titanium back. I want the backups where I can find them, not in a cloud somewhere. I had rooted the Nexus using a method that didn't unlock the bootloader, so I got the update.