• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can't save MP3 ringtones from Verizon

Hi there- I have the DROID2 R2D2 version 2.3.3. I recently purchased 3 ringtones from the Verizon online store. After receiving the text message, I did as the instructions read-click and hold the message, select save audio once the sub screen comes up-but instead of saving the tone, I get a box with a black envelope with the message "error saving attachment" and am unable to save the ringtone.

I have spoken to a few different techs at Verizon and all they can tell me is the tone didn't download-they credit my account and have me repurchase the tone and run thru the same drill to no avail. I've tried purchasing different ringtones via my computer AND via my phone-same result.

Can anyone help me? It's great that Verizon credits my account-but what I really want is for the ringtone to work! I'm not any good at going into the programming of the phone so detailed instructions would be awesome!

Thanks for your time and attention!
J

I have never used the service. From what you describe once you purchase the ringtone it is not automatically downloaded to the phone the way an app form the Market is.

You get a text message with an attachment which you have to save to your SD Card. To me this says it is an MMS.

Are you stock? Are you using third party text app?

If rooted, did you freeze, rename, or delete the the stock sms apk?
If you did, unfreeze it, reinstall it, or rename it back because it is required for MMS to work.

Upvote 0
OK- Yes- the text is received from Verizon as a MMS message. Once the message is received you have to save the audio file then can assign it as a ringtone.

NO-I'm not using a 3rd party text app-so I guess that means I'm stock?
I'm not even gonna pretend I know what the rest of your message means- I'm not one who goes rooting around my phone changing how it runs...so I didn't freeze anything to my knowledge. I've never had an issue saving a purchased ringtone from the Verizon Media store before...I believe this all started after the most recent upgrade.

I do not have any issue saving text message attachments from anyone else...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones