• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't see 9GB of used "System and User Data".

I've got a Galaxy J2 with supposedly 9GB out of 16 used. I used DiskUsage and the Storage option in Settings, and to my avail I could not find all of the used space in my internal storage. The storage settings says it's 9GB of System and User Data used, but even showing hidden folders doesn't show me that. I'm not rooted, and would like to avoid that.

Is there anyway to finally find, once and for good, all my used data in the internal storage?

No it's Android uses a percentage of your phone space. For example my 128 gig Note 9 roughly 23 gigs is Android System reserved.
It's really a matter of how much space the manufacturer allocated. What you see is not how much space the system firmware uses but how big the partitions are - there may be empty space in them, but as you can't access that it shows as used. For that reason even if you could delete stuff from them it wouldn't help: the user partition would not get larger, so you'd have no more space available.

There is no need at all for a higher capacity phone to have larger system partitions, but we know that Samsung do that for some reason (e.g. a 128 GB version of the same Samsung phone will allocate more space to the system than a 64 GB version). I don't know whether others do this, but it makes no sense to me. There is the business of binary Vs decimal which can muddy this, but I've done the sums on that before and it isn't just that.

And it does depend somewhat on manufacturer: my 128GB Pixel 2 uses a little less than 9GB, and it has dual system partitions (which last I heard Samsung had not adopted), so its ROM is a fraction of the size of Samsung's.

Disabling any system apps you don't need will save space, but that's because it removes their data and any updates to them, both of which use your space rather than the system partition. That's as much as you can do.

All computers are like this: the capacity you see includes space used by the system. Same for an iPhone or a PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones