1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Cant see files on sd card

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by waisodim, Aug 1, 2013.

1. waisodim

waisodim Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    I put some video files on my sd card to watch with mx player but it says that theres no files. I put an mkv file(which mxplayer can read) and an mp4 file but it says there no files, also i put them straight on the sd card at first and then in a folder and same thing. Im using a 4gb micro sd and the mkv file is 2gb and the mp4 file is 800mb. When i go to settings, it says that the sd card is only 100mb full from some crap and 3.7gb free space even though i have 2 files which take almost 3 gbs of space. I used astro file manager and when i go to the external sd file, it shows nothing and says sd card is empty. Whats going on. Im trying to watch some movies with mx player but everytime i put video file, it wont show on android. Im using android 4.2.2. Anyone whats going on here? Im still a noob at using android.
    Btw the sd card is formatted as fat32

Advertisement

2. cpfan

cpfan Newbie
    None

Jul 23, 2013
    Male
    Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
    Not sure if this is your problem, but it is a common problem with new users. There are probably 2 SD cards on your device. The first is simulated by Android and uses part of the internal memory. This is usually called SDcard or SDcard0. The second is the microSD card that you inserted into the phone. This is usually called ExtSDCard (or something similar).

Hope this is your problem. Good luck, Steve

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    It could be that, although MX should scan for and index videos that it finds, both on the internal and external storage. And will show them when it's launched. In fact it's got a refresh button(top right), which re-scans for videos.

However what the OP writes... "it says that the sd card is only 100mb full from some crap and 3.7gb free space even though i have 2 files which take almost 3 gbs of space. I used astro file manager and when i go to the external sd file, it shows nothing and says sd card is empty. Whats going on." That could very well be a fake or duff SD card. If it's a phony SD, MX will not find any videos, because they're not there.

Counterfeit storage media pretends and deceives the OS they're storing files, but they're not. Unless the OS has full write verify enabled, it will never know. Also SDs do wear out, they have a finite number of times they can be written to, and unpredictable things will happen.