• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't see incoming calls or calls placed

noahj1102

Sep 21, 2011
I've done nothing to my Nexus 5. But out of the blue today, when my phone rings I get the incoming tone, but no notification or anything that the call is incoming. I can't answer nor can I hang up.

I can place a call by going to people and hitting the contact and the call will place. But I still don't see my phone or key pad and cannot hangup.

I've rebooted and I'm not rooted. Full stock.

Anyone have any idea?

Reactions: tidycat10
I've done nothing to my Nexus 5. But out of the blue today, when my phone rings I get the incoming tone, but no notification or anything that the call is incoming. I can't answer nor can I hang up.

I can place a call by going to people and hitting the contact and the call will place. But I still don't see my phone or key pad and cannot hangup.

I've rebooted and I'm not rooted. Full stock.

Anyone have any idea?

Hi noahj1102
Personally I don't have this problem but I've read that quite a few users have had this same problems on the N5 and N4.
Couple things that you can try to fix the problem...
First, I would boot into safe mode and run it like that for a day or so. That will narrow it down and let you know if its a rouge app causing the problem.
I've also heard that Handcent can cause this issue too.
So you could try disabling Handcent and then use a different SMS app temporary to see if its the cause.

You can also try going into, settings/apps/all and then scroll to and click on Phone and make sure that "Show Notifications" is checked and at this point you can also try and "clear data" and "cache" for the Phone app.

If the above mentioned doesn't work, you could then try and boot to stock recovery and "clear cache partition"

If all else fail you might want to try booting into stock recovery and perform a "wipe data/factory reset"
This will wipe all the user data on the device.

As a last resort you could try reflashing the stock image and start over completely fresh.

Just in case you don't know how to boot into stock recovery.
Power off the device
Press and hold down the volume (-) down and volume (+) up buttons and the Power button all together until the device vibarates.
The device will boot to bootloader mode and will say "Start" at the top of the screen. Use the volume rocker to navigate to "recovery mode" and then press the power button to enter into recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones