• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't seem to get rid of supposedly deleted downloads

randomstu

Lurker
Jul 22, 2013
So my Galaxy S4 has this weird thing. I tried to delete all my downloads. I pressed the button and thought the downloads already went poof. I went on photo album and found all my downloaded memes I thought got deleted were still there. I opened up my emulator and found that all the roms I supposedly deleted still show up on the download folder. So I try to clear it, but the files don't show up on downloads. How do I delete those files if the downloads app doesn't show it? Is there any other way to delete these files other than clearing the phone.

So my Galaxy S4 has this weird thing. I tried to delete all my downloads. I pressed the button and thought the downloads already went poof. I went on photo album and found all my downloaded memes I thought got deleted were still there. I opened up my emulator and found that all the roms I supposedly deleted still show up on the download folder. So I try to clear it, but the files don't show up on downloads. How do I delete those files if the downloads app doesn't show it? Is there any other way to delete these files other than clearing the phone.

The memes could be places in some other folder perhaps? Or there is a copy of thumbs that where generated by the phone, and not removed when you deleted the files. I'm a little confused with the random jumps from gallery to roms :)

Anyway, for the gallery thing:
Try going to System - Application Manager - swipe all the way to "All" , look for the GALLERY. Select it, then press the "clear data" button. Restart the Gallery, it will rebuilt all the thumbs based on real content of the phone.
If you still see the memes, then you might want to look for another folder where they were stored.

As for downloads, I use Astro File Manager, free folder explorer app. Or connect my phone to computer using USB cable, and explore the folders from there. Either way, each gets the file removed for good.

Reactions: randomstu
Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forums randomstu. Give ES File Explorer a try. It's a free app in the Play Store. Then get Clean Master Cleaner also free from the Play Store. Under Junk Files in that program there is a tab called Residual Files which lists big files left behind. You'll probably see the ROMS you downloaded there and can delete them if ES Explorer doesn't do the job. Clean Master is also very useful in clearing out your cache files which can build up pretty fast. I use it at least once a week to keep as much space free on my device as possible.

Reactions: randomstu
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones