• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't seem to make a decision...help?

I don't know whether to buy the Optimus V from Virgin Mobile, the Optimus M from Metro Pcs, or the Samsung Galaxy Prevail from Boost Mobile.

The Optimus V seems like a great phone for its price and the price of the phone plans(I'm looking into the $40/mo plan). But I don't know how reliable the phone, or Virgin Mobile is.

The Optimus M seems like a really awesome phone, except for Metro's crappy customer service and the fact that they force you to go into the $50/mo plan with this phone. And they charge you $6+ in random fees every time you pay your bill.

I was actually set on buying the Samsung Galaxy Prevail because of Boost's shrinkage plan, but I've been hearing that Boost requested that the Android Market block access to certain popular apps for this phone. Which WTF, that defeats the whole purpose of having an Android device.

I was just looking for a little insight/opinions from anyone. Help me make the right decision? Thanks.

virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile are BOTH owned by Sprint, so both phones would operate in Sprint Coverage Areas.

One's an LG (virgin mobile optimus V)

One's Samsung (boost mobile Prevail)...

Never been a fan of the Samsung's since I had a crappy AT&T Captivate.

The Prevail and the Optimus V has basically the same software load.

I think the unlimited plans are the same.......But the Boost Mobile will START AT $55 (and shrink $5 for each 6 mos you pay on time).

Virgin Mobile starts at $25 and works up (300 mins=$25).

hard choice. Don't know much about the Prevail. too new.

I don't know whether to buy the Optimus V from Virgin Mobile, the Optimus M from Metro Pcs, or the Samsung Galaxy Prevail from Boost Mobile.

The Optimus V seems like a great phone for its price and the price of the phone plans(I'm looking into the $40/mo plan). But I don't know how reliable the phone, or Virgin Mobile is.

The Optimus M seems like a really awesome phone, except for Metro's crappy customer service and the fact that they force you to go into the $50/mo plan with this phone. And they charge you $6+ in random fees every time you pay your bill.

I was actually set on buying the Samsung Galaxy Prevail because of Boost's shrinkage plan, but I've been hearing that Boost requested that the Android Market block access to certain popular apps for this phone. Which WTF, that defeats the whole purpose of having an Android device.

I was just looking for a little insight/opinions from anyone. Help me make the right decision? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have the optimus v with virgin. I switched from a blackberry with tmobile. The optimus v is my first android phone and I absolutely love it. I've hax it for 2 months now with no issues except the crappy sd cards these phones come with cause it to randomly reboot 5 times a day. I swapped to a sandisk sd card for $15 and no more rebooting. And I have ZERO issues with virgin mobile. I'm on the $25 plan and its $25 a month. No fees. Its always $25. And if next month I want the $40 plan, I can switch for next month then the month after that I can go back to the $25 plan. I also love the service coverage. Its great and I get better service than I did with tmobile. The 3g speeds are decent too. I am a very happy customer.

Reactions: n00dz
Upvote 0
There is NO activation fee. RadioShack will try to sell you tons of extras such as screen protectors, cases, and a "protection plan".

Several people have said that RadioShack insists activating the Optimus V, but that's not required on a prepaid phone.

i'd activate it myself on virginmobileusa.com and pick your own plan there.

So when I go into radioshack to buy the phone, is the activation free or is it gonna cost me?

Upvote 0
I've had the Optimus V for a couple of months now - my first smart phone - and love it. So far as service with VM goes, this is the third phone I've had with them, had a real cheapie to start with, then upgraded to a flip phone, and now this one. After I decided to get a smart phone, I comparison shopped all over the place, but couldn't see paying $20, $30 or $40 more for what VM would give me for $25, so ended up with the V. No, you don't all the minutes that the more expensive plans give you, but since I use the phone AS a phone about 5% of the time, and the other 95% is using the "smart" part, I'm good with the 300 minutes and unlimited everything else, since it's the everything else I use all the time. :D

Must be said that I had a bit of a rough start regarding billing with the folks at VM after I activated the V, since I converted over my flip phone plan ($15 every three months, auto-topoff) to the $25/mo plan with the V, and it just took them a little while to catch up to that. Fixed now, completely happy. :)

Upvote 0
FOr the most part, I was happy with my Optimus V
I want something a bit more powerful but you cant
beat Virgin Mobile's plans really

I've heard things about Boost customer service and I know someone with the prevail.
The camera is horrid
and the phone tends to freeze up a bit

i say go for the optimus V.
Download Gamedroid and you can play some nice ass games :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones