• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't seem to revert to stock after installation of Cyanogen 7

gamedazed

Lurker
May 19, 2011
I rooted my phone (HTC Evo 4G) back a while ago and wanted to try installing a ROM. I backed up everything with Titanium, but instead of choosing backup ROM and clearing all data, I stuck with default. Definitely not the best idea, but the problem is I can't seem to get to the point where I can flash to stock. The Cyanogen Mod 7 boot loader loads (The android on the skateboard surrounded by the circle with an arrow traveling along it), but every 10 rotations it just restarts the loader. As a result I can't get into the O.S. and while at first I thought I may have just been impatient, it's been trying to boot for 6 hours now. : (

I am new to android, rooting, and especially ROMs, so if there are any options that I have overlooked please let me know. I have no issues with wiping everything because it's already been backed up, I just can't figure out how to do so.

Possibly noteworthy facts include:
*The only way I have found to power off the phone is by removing the battery.
*The HTC EVO 4G window (just before the boot loader) takes about 2 minutes to load, significantly more than usual.
*I used ROM Manager to find, download, and install Cyanogen 7
*I do not have an SD Card reader on my computer

ok so first off i would learn how to flash things manually. rom manager has been known to be buggy.

ok so can you get to your recovery? power off (pull battery) then press and hold power+vol down then select recovery. if you can, try wiping cache and dalvik cache (can be found in advanced) and see if that works. if you still cannot boot up try wiping system, cache, dalvik cache. hopefully you have a custom rom on your sd card that you can flash. if you do select "flash .zip from sd card" or something like that as i haven't used clockwork mod in a long while. then reboot. hopefully that will work for you.

Upvote 0
I can get into recovery, I hadn't known about it until now though (just starting to mod the phone). I would much prefer to get into stock and stay rooted, however if necessary I can easily root it again. Also, I don't have a ROM unless ROM Manager leaves one by default, but if there is a way to put a rom on the sd card without getting into the OS I could still boot to the rom.

Upvote 0
the best thing for you to do at this point is to wipe cache and dalvik cache and install a sense rom. youd wanna download the zip file onto your sd card putting in a location that youll remember where it is lol, go into recovery, do the wipes, and install. if youre not diggin cm7 most folks are liking mikfroyo or konis (awesome) esIII. notice how i didnt include rom manager instructions... avoid it... trust me. im betting someone will pop in here and concur with me. its just too buggy...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones