1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't seem to volt my new LG volt

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by steppinthrax, Dec 30, 2014.

1. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Newbie
    None

Dec 30, 2014
    Male
    I'm trying all which ways to Sunday to Volt my LG volt. I got for my wife for Christmas. Towelroot doesn't work, so I tried I guess the "manual" method. I downloaded IOroot and ran the Batch file that runs the adb commands. The unit boots into the "diagnostics mod" I select "Load from ADB", then the USB disconnects and I get the message "Unknown USB Device (Configuration Descriptor Request Failed). I have downloaded and installed the LG volt drivers. I even downloaded and installed the Android SDK (as per other instructions).
    I tried putting the update zip file within the IOroot onto a sd card, then loading it from sd, however I get some sort of message "Unable to mount SD". I know for fact that the sd card is good because I've formated it to FAT 32 with the correct sector size using mini partition and the phone reads the card and I even was able to backup the phone via LG backup. But It doesn't seem to work when I try to load from SD.

Advertisement

2. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Newbie
    None

Dec 30, 2014
    Male
    OK I think I got it. I following the instructions from another post here (that linked to several other post). I used the LG firmware tool and put on the Z3 firmware, then I rooted that. Then I put on the custom Z4 update (provided within the same post) and rooted that. Rootchecker indicates the phone is rooted.

My other question is now I have super root, what else should I do with the rooted phone? What other apps should I get or standard set of rooting apps. I have a uninstaller.

3. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    Wi-Fi tether router for hotspot, you can use link2sd for moving apps better than the stock method does, greenify to keep over active apps at bay, titanium backup or ultimate backup for making backups (obviously :p), Flashify for flashing recovery or kernel images.

When you installed v4, did you also install the radio and kernel? They don't install with the v4 zip. Also, did you install cwn or did you use the fastboot method?

4. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Newbie
    None

Dec 30, 2014
    Male
    Thanks for replying. After I installed z4 I believe I held the up or down and pressed the power. I got a blck screen with white txt indicating fastboot. I tindicated it was ready to accept commands. I typed fastboot boot cwn.img. The phone booted to a menu with a hat in the center. I then loaded zs onto a sd card and clicked update from zip. That was pretty much it. The wifi appears to be working. What is the radio and kernel?

5. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    You can actually flash cwm now and have it on the phone in place of the stock recovery. Just use Flashify to flash it as recovery. The radio can be downloaded from the thread where you got v4, flash it with cwm. The kernel is in the v4 zip, named boot.IMG. Just pull it out and flash it with Flashify as well.

#5 bg4m3r, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
Tags: