1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Cant send SMS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kirby, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Kirby

Kirby Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Just got my Hero last night from Best buy with that nice little coupon! Great device so far, except that I cant send SMS at all. I can receive them though. I tried sending with the built in app, as well as HandCent.

When sending with the built in app, I get this error:

Cause Code 97
    Error Code 2

I have tried updating firmware, PRI and PRL. Also rebooted the phone. Nothing makes it work. Anyone have ideas what I can do to make this work?

Advertisement

2. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    welcome!

may i ask does the back of your phone (on the battery cover) show "with google"? also can you check your stats show REV 0 or REV A?

secondly, have you contacted Sprint to make sure your account is properly setup?

3. Kirby

Kirby Member

Oct 30, 2009
    With Google, Rev A, and Hardware revision is 0002.

I have not yet contacted Sprint, I just assumed that everything was setup correctly by the Best Buy reps. I have to say, I have not yet tried to make or receive any calls yet either, guess I should try that out too. Was just having too much fun playing with EvDO speeds last night (AT&T doesnt do 3G here) that I never got around to calls! :)

4. satinkzo

satinkzo Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Hey Kirby, I know we talked aobut this over at satguys, but I just thought of something else to check..

Check if you are on EVDO only, 1x or hybrid.

5. Kirby

Kirby Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Where is that setting found? I think I saw my phone switch to 1x last night when coming home.

6. satinkzo

Oct 26, 2009
    Settings -> Wireless controls -> Mobile network settings -> Mode of operation -> Hybrid

7. Kirby

Kirby Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Set to Hybrid.

8. satinkzo

Oct 26, 2009
    IIRC 1x is all that is needed for text, I was just checking ot make sure you weren't in evdo only for some reason.

I think I would call sprint to double check on their end.

9. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

Have you tried setting it to 1x-Only mode just to test?

10. Kirby

Kirby Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I have not tried that, but I think I might know part of the issue. I just dialed my Hero from my AT&T phone, incoming call worked. Tried to call out to the AT&T phone, and went right into the voicemail setup for Sprint, so maybe because I have not finished that, its not letting me do anything else? Maybe I should have done that last night :) I'll get the voicemail stuff setup and try forcing 1x to see what happens.

11. Kirby

Kirby Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Wow, its amazing what a phone can do when its fully activated! :) Sorry for the dumb question, I just figured since the BB gal said it was ready to go, and I could access the internet without issues, that I was all setup.

12. satinkzo

Oct 26, 2009
    That is kind of odd, but glad you got it working

Tags: