• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't set mp3's as ringtones or notifications. why??

vmbridun

Apr 9, 2013
I have my preferred ringtone in /SD Card/Media/Ringtones/song.mp3

I've rebooted and rebooted the phone and used "Media Scanner" from the Play store to refresh the media on the sd card so that the system will recognize they are there. Yet the mp3 in the Ringtones folder does NOT show up in the ringtones list. At one point (when I was rooted) it showed up fine. But since system reset (and subsequent unrooting) I can no longer use custom ringtones or notifications. My notifications are in /SD Card/Media/Notifications/song.mp3. I've tried putting the ringtones/notification mp3's in just /SD Card/Ringtones and /SD Card/Notifications but neither of those work either. I'm at a loss. I really don't like any of the (many) included ringtones or notifications so I want to use my own. Is this a problem with my phone, sd card or song files even though I can easily play these files in any media player on my phone and on my computer?? My preferred notification for text messages is only 24 KB. It's "readable and writable and not hidden" according to ES File Explorer. So what am I doing wrong?? Please, if anybody knows the answer, let me know. I'll be switching service in August (or September) since we are moving across country then into a newly built house. Virgin Mobile has horrible 3g speeds. They aren't even considered Edge speeds. It's a joke really. So I'll be switching to Metro PCS. Hopefully that phone I get with them will be properly usable and customizable.

I'm thinking of factory resetting again and seeing if that helps. But it's a pain in the butt to reinstall all of my apps.

Help, please!

Thank you.

Also, I just took the cover off, removed the SD card (plugged it into my computer, checked the files worked - they do) I put the card back in my phone and tried to turn on the screen. It would NOT turn on. I plugged it in, the orange light came on which is good, then I tried to turn the phone on - nothing. So I unplugged it, removed the battery for maybe 5 seconds, put it back in and turned it on. It finally turned on. Now when I check the ringtones and notifications there are a few built-in songs that are duplicated in the list. Oh wow I just checked again after typing that sentence and now my custom ringtone is there. What the heck?! Ok and now there are no duplicates. (smh) Have you ever had problems like this with your Rise or any other android phone?! This is only my second android phone (third "smart phone"). My first was a windows phone (super tiny screen I think I got it through Verizon quite a number of years ago). Then I got the Motorola Backflip from AT&T I think in December 2010. It was a horribly slow phone. So I went back to regular feature phones until just a few weeks ago.

Upvote 0
You might try just putting the mp3 you are trying to use just as a single file just in the main directory of the card. That's what I did to get it to work (not in the ringtone folder). I have had to do this with all the music files for some reason it doesn't seem to read them from their respective folders, no idea why?

Hope that helps!
Factory resets are a major pain, try this first!

GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0
Wow was this a HUGE pain in the @** ok first download any mp3 ringtone you want or have to use etc. Plug your Samsung Galaxy Centura into your computer using the provided usb cord. Ignore the pop up window when asked what you want to do. I'm using windows 7 so open the download or piece of music etc that you want to use as you ringtone with windows media player. In the top right corner of the screen that's playing your tone/song hover over the 3 little squares with the back arrow it says switch to library click it or the song will finish playing and then you can click go to library. Once in the main windows media player library screen on the right you will see your song/tone/mp3 in blue under unsaved list. Right click on your songs/tone/mp3 name and choose open file location. Once file location is open your song/tone/mp3 will be highlighted in blue. Now look to the left list you will see your phone, mine starts with SCH- go over and left click the little arrow to the left of the SCH (your phone) to expand your phones files. I have a microSD card in, so I have 2 expansions under my phone SD Card and USB storage, if your USB storage folder isnt already expanded, click USB storage now and a drop down will appear
mmsyscache
alarms
android
data
DCIM
download
MBSTGO
MBSTPH
movies
music
notifications
pictures
podcasts
ringtones

Finally left click you highlighted song/tone/mp3 hold it and drag it over to ringtones. If you want it for a personalized notification left click hold and drag it to notifications. Now look on your phone system settings click sound then phone ringtone. your ringtone should now be there, click on it hit ok to set and BAM!!! your done. Same for Notifications, if you drug your song to notifications go to settings, sound, notification and it's there. Hope this helps someone because I was ready to pull my hair out literally, why they make this so much harder and confusing than it has to be. :) Enjoy!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones