• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant stop apps running

slowmo

Lurker
Sep 25, 2010
Hi guys since I upgraded my Desire to Froyo I am having trouble closing the apps. I use 'advanced task killer' to kill the apps. But if I go back to the 'advanced task killer' few minutes after closing all the apps, I see all the apps are running again. And also I cant close the default music player with 'advanced task killer'.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi guys since I upgraded my Desire to Froyo I am having trouble closing the apps. I use 'advanced task killer' to kill the apps. But if I go back to the 'advanced task killer' few minutes after closing all the apps, I see all the apps are running again. And also I cant close the default music player with 'advanced task killer'.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Welcome to Android Forums, slowmo (great user name :D).

I've moved your question out of the Lounge and into the HTC Desire Support area.

I think that your issues with the apps remaining running despite a task killer stopping them is one of the most common problems with task killers in general, especially if they are configured to kill apps which need to run.

Some apps have to run in order to comply with the configuration of other apps, when the task killer stops them they restart because the other app(s) have started them.

Others just can't stop at all if the system is to function as configured by the user. And still others won't stop because they're set to update in the background; when the task killer stops them the update setting still invokes and the app restarts (weather, news, etc).

More rapid than normal battery drain can be another problem resulting from all of this app stopping and restarting.

Task killers are, thus, controversial, not just as to how they should be configured, but also as to whether or not they should even be used at all.

One way to test for the issues you're having is to either un-install or deactivate your task killer: go to menu > settings > applications > manage applications. In there select the task killer and clear cache then clear data (I'd also un-install, but that's up to you).

Then go into the task killer settings and configure it to do nothing.

Reboot.

Then go into each app's settings that you want to stop running and turn them off. Some of them will have to be turned off in the manage applications area the same way you did task killer.

Once done, reboot again.

Good luck and please post back about how things are going.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones