1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't tell whether it's the phone, the battery, or the software

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Broviet, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Broviet

Broviet Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    Today was my 2nd day with the RAZR. Battery drained from 100% to under 10% in only 4 hours. My usage included: watching a half-hour tv show on megavideo, watching a few 1-minute youtube videos, and listening to about an hour-long podcast (with the screen turned off). Noticed the phone getting rather warm at a couple different times during that scenario.

I've noticed a lot of people saying that they get 10+ hours of moderate usage out of it, and I'm definitely not seeing it, but maybe my usage is heavier than I thought? Does that scenario up top sound normal to you guys? Or did I get a bum battery/phone?

Also, could my settings and applications being transferred over from my old T-Mobile G2 have affected the RAZR negatively? If so, would a factory reset of the phone help? There aren't many things from my old phone that I truly need.

Advertisement

2. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Definitely try the factory reset and not bringing things over. I've known apps and data to not transfer well between phones before, so that wouldn't surprise me. If that doesn't work I'd suggest returning the phone and trying another, definitely sounds either like an app error or a defective unit.

3. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    This was my first full day with my new RAZR. I unplugged at 8 am and plugged in at 6 pm at about 30% left. I used it a lot being my first full day. Screen was by far the biggest battery eater. I feel that all things considered, this was pretty decent battery life for the first run through.

4. Broviet

Broviet Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    Yeah I'm not getting anywhere near that :(

Wonder if it's a defective battery or a defective phone as a whole.

As far as returns go, I need to bring it back to the same Verizon store, right? Sigh, looks like I've got a two hour train ride to take this thing back.

5. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    No, you can call CS and they will overnight you a new handset.

6. teslas

teslas Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    I second the reset to system default. Don't move stuff for a day and see how it goes.

7. Broviet

Broviet Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    Well, I did the factory reset, and after watching it drop from 100 to 80% in 5 minutes, I was concerned.....that was 10 hours ago. It hasn't dropped below 70% since then. I haven't used it at all, it's just been sitting by my side while I work, but still, 10+ hours without it dropping more than 10% is at least somewhat encouraging.

I guess I'll charge it tonight and then do a stress test on it tomorrow. 100% podcasts until it dies, and see how much life I get out of it.

For just podcast audio with the screen off, what do you guys think is a good estimate? 6-7 hours? Or less?