• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't Tether after reaching 6GB METROPCS hotspot cap

I need some assistance guys!

I'm currently using the following workaround to enable tethering on my LG Optimus F6 on the MetroPCS network:

http://androidforums.com/threads/me...video-for-stock-only-updated-12-02-14.809329/

However, the recent net neutrality ruling has turned what initially sounded positive to a problem. While MetroPCS is giving everyone free tethering access on all available plans, they have a 6GB cap on the Unlimited Data plan. That means that once you reach 6GB, you are throttled at 128k. Once you reach this cap, the above workaround stops working.

-First, you get a text stating that you have 10% left of your mobile hotspot left.
-Second, you get a message stating you've used up all of your mobile hotspot and can "top it off" by paying an additional $5.
- Third, your internet speeds slow to a crawl. I tried switching over to a user agent switcher, but the speeds are still slow.

The only way around this is using a VPN, like Hotspot Shield, which will allow you to continue tethering w/the above method. The only downside is the speeds are slower and not consistent, since they are using Iraq servers or something. (Google loads from the United Arab Emirates??)

Does anyone know of a workaround that doesn't require using a VPN? Perhaps another app or method? What I'm trying to accomplish is either of the following:

1. An app that blocks tethering monitoring from the carrier. I heard PDAnet may work, but I've never been able to get it to work with an LG Optimus F6. Has anyone been successful in getting this to work?
2. Another method to tether that doesn't throttle after reaching the 6GB cap.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I'm currently using Linux. Linux natively did not require that I use a user agent switcher or a VPN; I've been tethering for months using Linux and the method in the above link without VPNs or a user agent switcher. I keep my usage to a decent amount monthly, and I'd like to continue tethering if possible.

Thanks for anyone willing to answer my question and assist.

If you want good, un-throttled internet while remaining anonymous, you're gonna need a VPN. Any other solution isn't a real solution, because to avoid this problem you're going to need to go around their servers. Which only a VPN can do. If you know how to build a NAS and host your own VPN server using linux, that would be a free way to do it. Otherwise you can use a VPN like Private Internet Access. I've been using this VPN for over 3 years without any problems, and has a huge selection of encryption options. It's only $40 a year and totally worth it IMO.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
do i connect to the vpn with my host phone? or with the ipad client device? can u explain more on how to use a vpn to hide the 6 gig throttle?
What VPN to buy:

How to set it up on android:
http://bfy.tw/30oK

Some services like Private Internet Access provide a dedicated app off the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privateinternetaccess.android&hl=en

How to set it up manually within android settings:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/android-l2tp

Upvote 0
What VPN to buy:

How to set it up on android:
http://bfy.tw/30oK

Some services like Private Internet Access provide a dedicated app off the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privateinternetaccess.android&hl=en

How to set it up manually within android settings:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/android-l2tp
Hi Jayz
Will this work for hotspot? I've been reading for days now and have VPN account. The only thing i could get working is 'OpenVPN Connect'. It works for the phone only, not hotspot.

Trying to get past the dreaded hotspot restrictions using a ROKU type streamer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LG f60 rooted
Thanks

Upvote 0
From my post above.
After entering info manually and tap connect it says connecting for a few seconds and goes to disconnected.
You must have entered the wrong credentials. Are you using a paid service with a specific login? Or a free service? As long as you're connecting through data, have the VPN logged in and running, and then turn on tethering, you should be fine.

Upvote 0
You must have entered the wrong credentials. Are you using a paid service with a specific login? Or a free service? As long as you're connecting through data, have the VPN logged in and running, and then turn on tethering, you should be fine.
Hey thanks for the reply.
Yes paid service through the one you posted PIA. I have private user name and password.

Upvote 0
do i connect to the vpn with my host phone? or with the ipad client device? can u explain more on how to use a vpn to hide the 6 gig throttle?

If your carrier is doing the throttling at their end, I'm pretty sure using a VPN is not going to hide it. They're just counting/metering the number of bytes you've used on your data plan, including whatever is going through the VPN and once you go over the say 6GB or whatever, the throttling is tripped.

Upvote 0
QUOTE="JayzTwoDimes, post: 7155142, member: 1806466"]Then it should be working fine. If you use their official app through the play store and set your encryption and connection options, tethering works fine.[/QUOTE]
Their official app works for my browsers only. If hotspot turns on it stops all intetnet traffic at that point.

Upvote 0
QUOTE="mikedt, post: 7155144, member: 268690"]If your carrier is doing the throttling at their end, I'm pretty sure using a VPN is not going to hide it. They're just counting/metering the number of bytes you've used on your data plan, including whatever is going through the VPN and once you go over the say 6GB or whatever, the throttling is tripped.[/QUOTE]

Well yes that's what the problem is. From reading like a hundred hours of post evetwhere the vpn set up properly was supposed to be the work-around, no?

Upvote 0
Back in the day the satellite companies marked the access cards to disable services, i'm not quite sure if the mobile companies aren't using similar techniques with the sims.
I don't have any such issues at all with MetroPCS hotspot using the PIA VPN app. Unless you're trying to use their official joke of a tethering app, which is the only thing I can think of that's disabling your internet traffic. It's very suspicious that anything would go as far as to shut off your VPN traffic. Check the apps that you allow Superuser access and if you're on aosp kitkat, you can use app ops to manage permissions. Alternatively you can use the xposed module xprivacy. Also be sure to have your encryption settings maxed. When I had minimal encryption my VPN connection would be throttled.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
I don't have any such issues at all with MetroPCS hotspot using the PIA VPN app. Unless you're trying to use their official joke of a tethering app, which is the only thing I can think of that's disabling your internet traffic. It's very suspicious that anything would go as far as to shut off your VPN traffic. Check the apps that you allow Superuser access and if you're on aosp kitkat, you can use app ops to manage permissions. Alternatively you can use the xposed module xprivacy. Also be sure to have your encryption settings maxed. When I had minimal encryption my VPN connection would be throttled.

Okay so i loaded wifi.tether.router and i'm using OpenVPN.

I need the settings for F60 using OpenVPN. I've been trying but can't even get another mobile to connect. It will recognize it though.

KK 4.4.2
Rooted

Upvote 0
Yeah. Oh by the way to the guy that asked about Pdanet, I use it religiously. The paid version and in my opinion it works like a dream but only physically tethered to your pc. It works like a portable modem and you just get internet from your data. If you have amazing coverage plus 4glte on then you are pretty much beating comcast high internet speeds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones