1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cant transfer contacts from WinMobile 6.1 to Andoid

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Olley, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Olley

Olley Lurker

Hello,

So Ive been trying to transfer 1.6k contacts from a HTC Touch Pro 2 (windows mobile 6.1) to a Galaxy S2.

First thing I tried was active sync. Which started to sync with google but eventually gives me an error.

Then I tried to send them via Bluetooth but only 200 of the 1600 contacts make it to the phone.

Eventually I used a free program called Thunderbird Contacts Export. This nifty little program allowed me to create a .csv file containing all contacts.

The problem is when I import the csv file into google mail it does not display the phone numbers. In fact it ONLY displays the names. If I click on a contact i see the first 5 fields empty (email, phone, address, bday and URL). Below this it shows me Surname, Displayname, email1, homeTel, cellNo, homeCity etc all filled out.

My question is. How do i get google to show all the correct data in the initial fields without manually changing each line. The data is all there, its just in the wrong place/order. It appears that the .csv file is not read correctly by google.

If I sync the current gmail contacts with the phone all i get is names and nothing else.

This thing has been driving me nuts and i really hope someone can help me with this.

Thank you for reading! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Hi Olley, and welcome to AF :)

I've never owned a Windows Mobile phone, so don't really know what the options are. Can you export as vcards from the Touch Pro? Import/export from the android phonebook uses that format, so if Win Mob can do that you should be home.

Or if you've been syncing the Touch Pro with a PC, can you export from that in a way that can be imported into GMail? I'm afraid that I also do not use Outlook (not a Windows person at all really) so again don't know what the options are.

When you send via Bluetooth, is there any pattern to which ones show on the phone? Make sure that the contacts app on the phone is set to show all contacts, not just some contact groups.

Sorry can't help more, just taking a few guesses really.

Olley likes this.
  3. Olley

Olley Lurker

Hi Hadron,

Thank you for your swift reply.
    There is no native option to export contacts really. There is an option to send a single contact via vcard but with 1.600 contacts this is not viable. I was only able to export the csv file using a 3rd party app.

When doing it via Bluetooth, on the HTC it first races from 0-1400+ then I get the request on the SG2 if I want to accept files via Bluetooth and then it slowly transfers the remaining 200 contacts. The 200 contacts that arrive are always the same, but there is no specific order to them, its not the last 200 or first 200 in the phonebook, they appear to be random. Also, the contacts app on the SG2 is set to show all contacts, not only specific groups.

I tried to hook up the Touch Pro2 to my pc but without having Outlook there is no way to transfer contacts.

Thank you for trying! I greatly appreciate it :)

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

Just an idea ... import the the .csv file in MS Excel on the PC.

Create one test contact on your phone, export it as .csv and import it also in Excel.

Then resort the columns in the Excel sheet like your test contact's columns (resort columns in an Excel sheet is very easy).

Then export the resorted Excel sheet as .csv and import it on your phone.

Imported and exported .csv files should be on the root of the storage/SD card.

Good luck :)

Harry

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

If I remember correctly, Windows Mobile has a sync program to sync to Outlook. Outlook can sync contacts to Google without problems using the GoContactSync addon, or it can sync directly to your phone via Kies.

6. Olley

Olley Lurker

The problem is that I do not have Outlook.
    Using excel might work, ill have to take a closer look at that.

Cheers!