• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't transfer photos

Jwhyjim

Jun 12, 2015
I have not been able to transfer photos from my Galaxy Ring (Virgin). I would like to transfer photos to my laptop but all I get is that my laptop is not recognized me or my laptop... The only thing I can get is to get music, which I don't want, but then says I can't get that either.

I have XP and it has Service Pac or higher. But I can't do a darn thing.

There are various apps that can be used to transfer via WiFi if you can't get the MTP connection working. Or put the photos on sd and use a card reader to copy to the computer.

The fact that it sometimes sees music but nothing else sounds like a problem with the application on Windows (USB connection worked but only showing particular file types), but we'd need more information to be sure - you've not said whether there is some other difference like music being on sd and photos in internal storage, for example.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I interpreted your "The only thing I can get is to get music" as meaning that it would let you transfer music - if you just read your words without the context of knowing what you intended I'm sure you'll see how that could happen.

And I'm afraid I don't know what you mean about separating photos into boxes. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do think the problem might be that you're using XP, and that does NOT support MTP(Media Transfer Protocol) unless Windows Media Player 11 is installed, which is in addition to Service Pack 3, and it's not installed automatically.

You can download and install WMP11 from here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-media-player-details.aspx

Although if the phone requires any additional drivers and/or software from the manufacturer and it's not compatible and/or supported in XP, you'll have to upgrade Windows to a newer version, like 7.

XP has been unsupported and end-of-life by Microsoft and others for quite a while now. So if you have something that doesn't work with it, good luck!! ... FWIW even China is finally moving away from Windows XP Pro SP3 with IE6, I'm seeing much less of it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones