• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't turn off camera shutter sound?

Is it possible to shut off the camera shutter sound? The G2 had this I think. A workaround would be to turn entire phone volume off before using the camera but that sure isn't convenient.

Thanks

Try an app called Silent Snap. I believe there is a free version. IDK if it will work on the G3 but it works perfectly on other phones. You select the app instead of the camera to take a picture. If you have more than one camera app on your phone it will ask you which one you want to use.

Upvote 0
Came here looking for the same re: G2, not much sais about it. Even a mention the bugs/tweaks thread without mentioning the most obvious rooted way - rename it (adb shell 'mv /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click_gone.ogg' or use any file manager), perhaps because pretty obvious. Works on G2 though, quite likely on G3 as well, it's usually not super well protected.

Upvote 0
I agree, there are times when the shutter needs to be off (like when you're at work and supposed to be... working). I just turned my volume to silent, then enter camera, and it's silent. (as stated above)
I'm on Verizon (looooong time Sprint customer) and I've noticed a few changes to the phone I didn't expect. Maybe this is one that doesn't work on other carriers.

Upvote 0
I usually like to have the normal sound on though, in case someone calls/texts/IMs/etc. But I suppose that's an easier workaround than removing the file. That actually didn't work completely either (I now noticed), it seemed to silent it but it started again after a few days (and reboots). Not sure why.

I'm usually taking pictures of things like kids events, other people hanging out, etc and while I don't pretend I'm not taking pictures (it's very obvious I am) I take *lots*. Of the breed that wanted to be a photographer briefly in the early teens, I usually shoot 10-20 pictures per actually useful shot just kind of burst-mode or rapid clicking at whatever I'm trying to get. So while they know I'm taking a picture, they don't really know I'm taking 80 pictures. By then the sound would be annoying plus they'd paralyze and stop being good subjects to take pictures of (acting more or less naturally).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones