• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't turn off lock screen? What the hell?

You can download an app from the market called No Lock. It will remove the lock option for you. :)
Awesome. Fixed my issue precisely. "Thank"ed for that, rock on!

Greavous - I agree. It's counter to the whole Android model to lock stuff down and stifle innovation on the platform. If I wanted an idiot-proof device, I would have gotten an iPhone. This will make me rethink any future purchases from Motorola.

Upvote 0
That's a feature to stop the phone from dialing / starting apps when it's in your pocket. I don't see what the big deal is. I also don't see how it's Verizon's fault.
No kidding. I don't put my phone in my pocket, though. It's either sitting next to me at work / class / home, or it's in my holster. Since July 15, I have not "accidentally" hit the unlock button even once. So I have no need for a lock screen; it's just one more unnecessary motion I have to do to access my phone.

That being said, they had to actively decide to remove the ability to NOT have a lock screen, meaning they did it for a reason. That reason, more likely than not, is to avoid complaints from people who accidentally unlock their phones. Again, more idiot-proofing.

Upvote 0
No kidding. I don't put my phone in my pocket, though. It's either sitting next to me at work / class / home, or it's in my holster. Since July 15, I have not "accidentally" hit the unlock button even once. So I have no need for a lock screen; it's just one more unnecessary motion I have to do to access my phone.

That being said, they had to actively decide to remove the ability to NOT have a lock screen, meaning they did it for a reason. That reason, more likely than not, is to avoid complaints from people who accidentally unlock their phones. Again, more idiot-proofing.
This is true. Most people are too complacent for verizon to have left it. Its accessible as an app, that's good enough in my opinion. You have to consider who verizon is dealing with most of the time- the general public.

Upvote 0
The phone also has a proximity sensor, so why would it need a lock screen to begin with when it can sense that it's in your pocket?

AFAIK it only uses the proximity sensor when the screen is on, to sense when the handset is put to your head. I would think having the sensor on all the time to check if it's in a pocket would drain the battery pretty quickly.

And to the OP, that's great that you don't have a problem since you don't put it in your pocket, but I'd bet you 99% of other Android users don't feel that way, thus the change was introduced. But it's all good, theres an app for that. That's what is great about Android, it's opensource and community driven. If you don't like it you can either compile your own lockscreen or get on Google's developer forums and petition to have it changed. Get back to us when you get it all sorted out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones