1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't uninstall TikTok

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by hstroph, Aug 1, 2020.

1. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

Due to the recent controversy with the TikTok Make Your Day app, I thought I'd have a look at it to see what it has to offer before the president bans it.

I selected what I understood was "Science and ..." and was scrolling through the offerings looking for something scientific. There began several profane sayings on screen, such as the full "F you Henny!", so I immediately closed the app and was forever done with it.

Any attempt to uninstall the app from the phone meets with failure. I was able to remove the app icon from the desktop, but there is an exclamation-mark notification stating " ! Uninstalling TikTok unsuccessful".

Do I have to restore factory settings and rebuild the phone as I know it in order to get rid of TikTok, or is there an easier way, please. I very much regret my choice to install this app.

2. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

We can help you better if you can tell us the make & model of your phone, which version of Android it has, and which is your carrier.
    But the easiest thing is to do Factory Data Reset and re-install the apps on the phone, make sure you backup any photos. videos and anything else you want to keep first.

ocnbrze, mikedt and PitCarver like this.
  3. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

It sounds like it asked for special permissions when you installed it.

That can mean that these permisions must be disabled before the app can be uninstalled.

If you remember it asking for permissions, and you can locate these permissions in your device settings, then great!
    Go find them, and revoke those privleges.

If not, then you can start with deleting all of its app data.

Then try to uninstall.

I just looked it up (yes, just now), and it seems that you must delete your account before you uninstall the app?

Did you delete (deactivate, whatever) your account before you tried to uninstall?

https://www.indiatvnews.com/technol...ount-uninstall-chinese-app-android-ios-626793

ocnbrze, mikedt and Dannydet like this.
  4. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

After a power-cycle it seems to have magically disappeared, so maybe it did indeed get uninstalled despite the notification to the contrary. Nexus 6P Android 8.1.

puppykickr and ocnbrze like this.
  5. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

I have heard and observed that a restart is like an enema for an Android. :)

This is an often overlooked thing.