1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Cant update Firmware - advice needed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Itch, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Itch

Itch Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Newcastle, England
    Hi guys, I've reposted this as I'm not sure I posted it in the right topic before...

I would like to update the firmware on my phone. I have an unlocked Galaxy S2 GT-I9100:

PDA: I9100XWKF3
    Phone: I9100XXKE4
    CSC: I9100XEUKD1

Firmware version 2.3.3

When I go to Software Update > Check for Update on the phone it says Firmware Update Required... the update will then download, phone will reboot and then there's an error message 'Update Failed try again using Kies".

When I connect my phone to Kies I get the message... "Your device does not support Software upgrading via Kies"

I've tried removing my sim card and memory card before reconnecting to Kies. I've done factory reset... I've uninstalled / reinstalled Kies... not sure what else I can do now?

There seems to be a lot of complaints about ICS so now I'm wondering if all this faffing is warranted? :(

Any advice MUCH appreciated!

- Abbey

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    The Software Update on the handset isn't functional (except for Vodafone devices).

Download and install the most recent Kies version from Samsung's web site, then try connecting the handset and checking for updates again.

3. Itch

Itch Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Newcastle, England
    Thanks Slug...I have uninstalled Kies and reinstalled from the Samsung website - the program version is the latest.

When Kies opens that's when I get the message "Your device does not support Software upgrading via Kies"

And when I right click on my device name under 'Connected Devices' the 'Firmware Upgrade' option is greyed out.

Attached Files:

4. Wolfenstein82

Wolfenstein82 Newbie
    None

Apr 25, 2012
    thats exactly the problem i'm having :(

5. Itch

Itch Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Newcastle, England
    Have just gotten off the phone to Samsung support. I'm none the wiser...

To get the point, I was told that even though Samsung have announced ICS for my device... they can't update everyone's phones all at once so it may take some time before I get the update. I told him about the message I was getting in Kies (with difficulty as he would not let me speak!) and he said my phone might not be genuine. Kept referring to me as 'young lady' as if he was telling me off.

Not impressed really.

6. Wolfenstein82

Wolfenstein82 Newbie
    None

Apr 25, 2012
    I was put through to samsung from vodafone and the woman was very helpful told me to try factory setting reset and if that did not work to phone back an they will take it further she saved all my details, and gave me a reference pin for the call

7. Itch

Itch Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Newcastle, England
    Yeah... I might give them another ring and hopefully get someone who is at least willing to help.

I've factory reset my phone 3 times (just done it again now), I've installed the latest version of Kies onto a different computer, connected my phone - and am still getting that message.

I'm really frustrated by this... can you let me know how you get on? Thanks

8. Itch

Itch Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Newcastle, England
    Can anyone see any discrepancies with my phone info? Just wondering if my phone has been messed about with by previous owner;

PDA: I9100XWKF3
    Phone: I9100XXKE4
    CSC: I9100XEUKD1

When I first got it I ran an app from Google Play which was supposed to tell you if your phone had been rooted and it said it hadn't. I want to update my phone but really don't want to root it... not myself anyway. Does anyone I know of anywhere I could take it to pay to have it fixed properly?