1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't update from 6.0.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cedlong, Aug 27, 2020.

1. cedlong

cedlong Lurker

Hi, my HTC One M8S is running 6.0.1. I believe there are newer versions of the operating system, but when I go to About>software updates, nothing shows up except an update to HTC Sense (which I don't want, and therefore haven't updated).

Is it possible to update to the latest version? How can I do that?

Thank you.

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Was this purchased through a carrier? Many times the carrier will handle the updates. If they didn't specifically update the M8s that particular method won't work. You'll have to update manually to a generic version, if possible.

MrJavi, Hadron, kate and 1 other person like this.
  3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Welcome to the site :)

Also, the M8s was released with Android Lollipop 5 and was a midrange phone so it's possible it only received one upgrade to 6.

A quick search didn't find anything saying it was upgraded to 7, did you see an article or post saying it did?

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Same here: I can find nothing that suggests anything later than Android 6 was ever released for the M8s. And I've not only looked for official software but also custom ROMs based on it (which would certainly not stick with an earlier Android version than the official releases).

In general if you don't have anything showing in the software updates menu your only option is to find a compatible RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility) with newer software. "Compatible" is important: unless you have modified the phone (specifically gained S-Off) a carrier-branded HTC won't accept software that doesn't have the same carrier, an unbranded phone won't accept software intended for a different region, etc.

If you are prepared to root the device (not everyone is up for such things, and it may mean that some apps stop working so do your research first) then looking in the XDA development forum for this model I can see ROMs based on more recent versions of Android. But those based on more recent versions seem to be based off AOSP sources rather than HTC firmware, so there would be a change in interface in addition (you lose the HTC Sense interface and all HTC apps).

MrJavi, kate, ocnbrze and 2 others like this.

HTC ONE M8s Forum

The HTC ONE M8s release date was May 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 615 processor, and 2840mAh battery.

May 2015
Release Date
Reviews