• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't Update: Memory Issue

thahim

Android Enthusiast
May 29, 2011
Karachi, Pakistan
I have plenty of free memory on my phone again it says i can't update my phone as its low on memory.

+ I don't know what's taking so much space in phone memory, please refer to the screen shots.

ss2_1.png
ss2_2.png

Windows ME had issues with its install program. How much space was reported as being required varied depending not on what was to be installed, but on how much space was available. What it thought was required was different than what was required. So it was sometimes difficult to install Windows ME.

This is similar. Here what it apparently (and presumably) needs is less than what it has available, but it thinks it needs even more. Same result though--you can't install.

Upvote 0
Windows ME had issues with its install program. How much space was reported as being required varied depending not on what was to be installed, but on how much space was available. What it thought was required was different than what was required. So it was sometimes difficult to install Windows ME.

This is similar. Here what it apparently (and presumably) needs is less than what it has available, but it thinks it needs even more. Same result though--you can't install.

We are not talking about computers here.

Upvote 0
Caches of apps can take a lot of storage.
Try a cache cleaner like 'App Cache Cleaner'.
It might free enough storage for your update :)
That's an option. Another would be to free up unused space on your sd by copying the contents in their entirety onto your computer, reformating your sd card, either in the phone or in your computer (as fat32), and then recopying everything in its entirety back to the sd. Due to the way the Android OS handles file/folder deletes, they are not really deleted, just marked as available. This can confuse space estimates, like you're seeing. This problem is fixed BTW in Jelly Bean 4.3.

Note: Don't try to copy files from the sd by connecting your phone to the computer via USB. Doing so causes the phone to be seen as a media device, and hidden files/folders won't be seen or copied. You'll need a card reader or adapter so you can directly connect the sd card to your computer. Also note that you can't simply do a defrag of the card while it's connected to your computer. It will work for a while, but greatly reduces the life of the card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones