• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't update usb driver during 1.5>2.1 root procedure

mckayg

Lurker
May 25, 2010
I am on a replacement phone. 1.5 updated to 2.1OTA trying to root per walkthrough instruction in guide forum.
Firmware 2.1
Baseband 2.40.00.01.22
Kernel 2.6.29-5898f66b
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build 2.19.605.1 CL123435 test-keys
Software 2.19.605.1
Browser WebKit 3.1
PRI 2.11_002
PRL 51866
ERI 5
While following the instructions posted, Step II-10.
Have yellow exclamation in Device Manager,
Get this window during update driver step:
Cannot Continue the Hardware Update Wizard
The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.
I do have usb_driver folder:
c:\AndroidSDK\android-adk-windows\usb_driver
has subfolder amd64 and i386 along with
android_winusb
androidwinusb86
androidwinusba64
source.properties
AndroidSDK has Installed Packages: Usb Driver package, revision 3
I haven't been able to finish the steps and get ROOT to work.
adb shell commands give me "can't find device"

Any help is appreciated. Not very computer software programmer savvy but I follow directions well!
TIA.
and keep up the awsome work. the original phone I loaded 2.1 leak v.3. Loved it! Replaced/ warranty exchanged due to poor call reception and echo-ing on the other end.

Are you running Windows XP? For done unexplained reason I had the exact same thing, except my PC would not see the drivers at all.

Solution: Install HTC Sync, this will install the proper drivers for you. Then when you go to root just make sure your phone is set to Charge Only AND MAKE SURE that you completely shut down HTC Sync on your computer.

Go forth, good luck, report back!!

Upvote 0
This is what I did. (NO change in results)

Control Panel, Add/Rmv pgms, uninstalled htc sync, downloaded fresh htc sync, restarted pc, run htc sync

Debugging selected, (tried both ways with charge only and disk drive)

NO yellow exclamation in device mngr, Shows Android USB device and My HTC.

tried update drivers and got same results. I do not use windows outlook if this means anything, so I have nothing to sync.

went to Android SDK and tried to refresh installed pckgs also.

Upvote 0
Have you tried a different cable? It sounds simple, but it made a world of difference to me. Also once you connect the new cable, open up the tools folder and while you phone is set to debugging on/charge only, then run ddms. See if your device is listed in the boxes to the left (there should be a small picture of a phone follow by the letters HT9B2something something). If its there your computer is definitely seeing your device.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: Success!

Apparently, the new HTC Sync loaded what it needed as far as updated drivers. I continued on with GUIDE: From stock 1.5 to the latest root 2.1 at running 'install root.bat.

(this time)Phone did what the instructions said it would.
Rebooting......
and there it is.

Now on to tethering, and beyond!

Thanks for your help and patience w/ another 'noob'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones