• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cant upgrade Android after Rooting

I have an EVO 4G, while running 2.1 I rooted the phone so i can thether. all works fine. My question is do I need to reflash to an original 2.1 rom in order to upgrade to 2.2 or higher. The reason I ask is when I try to upgrade the software through Sprint to 2.2 it crashes. So Im thinking it senses the phone has been rooted. If the answer is yes. I have 2 more questions. 1. Will the flash reset my entire phone reseting everything Ie contacts and such or will it just reset the android. And the other is where can you get an original virgin 2.1 or pos a 2.2 rom thats has not been messed with and is safe safe.

If you want the Sprint updates on your phone, do not try the OTA upgrade. Instead, just flash this ROM:

[ROM]RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.30.651.2_Radio_2.15. 00.09.01_NV_1.77_003_release - xda-developers

This is the latest stock Evo ROM that INCLUDES the Sprint updates.

Before flashing any ROM, however, you should follow the guide found here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

Particularly sections 3, 5 and 8. I don't ever use ROM Manager as this thread suggests, but most people seem to like it. These steps will basically guide you through making a nandroid backup (in case something goes wrong which is highly unlikely), how to backup your apps/data using Titanium Backup, and then how to flash a ROM.

To answer your question 1, when you flash a new ROM it will completely reset your phone. This is why, however, I directed you to how to back up your phone using Titanium Backup. Also, your contacts should all be saved on your google account so those will load back on your phone once you sync google again.

I hope this makes sense. Just let us know if you have questions.

Reactions: Mrformat
Upvote 0
If you want the Sprint updates on your phone, do not try the OTA upgrade. Instead, just flash this ROM:

[ROM]RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.30.651.2_Radio_2.15. 00.09.01_NV_1.77_003_release - xda-developers

This is the latest stock Evo ROM that INCLUDES the Sprint updates.

If the OP is going to unroot his phone, he needs to use:
*OFFICIAL* RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.29.651.5_Radio_2.15. 00.09.01_NV_1.77_CNV_re - xda-developers

The software version 3.30.651.2 is only released to certain new EVO's that include different hardware. And 3.30 is not root able at this time so if the OP changes his mind.

Now if I were you I would stay rooted. Simply just flash any ROM thats based off of the current Sprint OTA's. Then once you find a ROM, update your radio here:
[Update] Radio 2.15.00.09.01 and PRI Version 1.77 - OTA 3.29.651.5 - Sept 23rd 2010 - xda-developers
(current radio 2.15.00.09.01)

And update your PRI here:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Update] Radio 2.15.00.09.01 and PRI Version 1.77 - OTA 3.29.651.5 - Sept 23rd 2010
(current PRI 1.77)

Good luck!

Reactions: Mrformat
Upvote 0
Ok so stay rooted and flash 3.29 not 3.30. But why do I flash the Radio and the PRI as well arent they in the 3.29 rom.

First, yes...much easier than unrooting, accepting the update and then rerooting

radios etc:
usually they are not..as some users prefer the old radios over the new ones....all area specific and user preference.

some radios work well in areas that the new ones do not and vice versa

Upvote 0
Hey, Im in the same boat as mrformat. Ive got a droid (froyo) thats rooted, and I keep getting an ota update reminder about 500 times a day. How might I apply the update and keep root? THANKS!

Pretty much what everyone else in this thread has said is true. You just need to flash a ROM based of the latest OTA and also flash the latest radios, etc. I can certainly give you some updated links.

First off, if you've never flashed anything, follow the instructions here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

It's very important that you backup first.

You can flash any ROM you like that is based on latest OTA (3.70 now). Find the list here:

HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

You will also need to flash your radios, etc. separately. You can find a constantly updated list here:

[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones