• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't upgrade, can't unlock

Keith_C

Lurker
Jul 2, 2010
Hi

I have an unbranded, unmodified desire running 2.29.405.7

I want to unlock the bootloader, but I can't because I'm not running 2.29.405.14. However I don't get any option to upgrade to 2.29.405.14.

So I decided to upgrade to 2.3 - but I can't, because I can't find the RUU on the htc website!

I realise I'm being completely inept here - but I could really do with some help, as this is starting to drive me nuts!

Why do you want to unlock the bootloader?

If it is to be able to flash another ROM, I'd go the root/S-off way (study the all-about-root stickies) instead. As you've upgraded to 2.3 you'll need to use the Revolutionary method, and not the Unrevoked.

With root, S-Off and a custom recovery (4EXT being the one recommended by the big guns around here nowadays) you have as much control over your phone as you could get without being an actual service-tech.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm dipping a toe in the water with messing around, so wanted to start simple. It is my work phone, and while they don't mind me playing, I would like it to be reliableish.

What I really want is the ability to have multiple exchange accounts on an otherwise bone-stock Desire. However I have gotten to liking the plain ICS on my Gnex personal phone, and have wondered if an ICS ROM might be worth a stab!

Upvote 0
Do NOT "unlock" the Bootloader with HTC tools. This just limits you. Continue using the unofficial methods in the root forum

To be honest, root & S-Off with revolutionary gives you more options than the HTC bootloader unlock. Also the unlock thing changes your hboot to one that isn't supported by revolutionary, and downgrading it is much harder than rooting.

Ah, cheers for that - I'm planning to ICS at some point (when I get the time to sit down and play with it), so that's good to know!

Must admit, the 2.3 upgrade is a fair improvement over 2.2 - lack of app space aside!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones