• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't use USB Mass Storage?

peps1

Lurker
Apr 21, 2012
My Note is stock out the box and I can't use USB Mass Storage?

I plug the USB cable in and the phone tells me "MTP connected"? but nothing showing up on my desktop (macbook) so i go into Wireless and Network>USB utilities and there is one button "connect storage to PC".....hit that and get a popup on the phone saying "Attention USB is connected. Remove the cable" But still nothing showing up on my Mac?

PLEASE HELP!

My Note is stock out the box and I can't use USB Mass Storage?

I plug the USB cable in and the phone tells me "MTP connected"? but nothing showing up on my desktop (macbook) so i go into Wireless and Network>USB utilities and there is one button "connect storage to PC".....hit that and get a popup on the phone saying "Attention USB is connected. Remove the cable" But still nothing showing up on my Mac?

PLEASE HELP!

It's definitely confusing. I'm also using a Mac. You have a choice of ways to connect. Personally I find this way the easiest as once it's set up you don't have to change settings. You'll only have to do all of this the first time you connect:

1) Make sure USB is unplugged. 2)Go into Settings, Applications, Development - there should be two options showing, 'USB debugging' and 'Allow mock locations'. Tick 'USB debugging' then back out of settings to the home screen. 3) Plug the phone into the Mac. In the notification area it'll show a usb logo and tell you usb is connected. Drop down the notification window and select the 'USB connected' section. It will then take you straight to the USB mass storage section (the one with the green Android logo with a usb arm). 4) Press the button 'Connect USB storage' and after a few seconds the Android logo will turn orange and your Mac will show the two mass storage sections of your phone (assuming you have a micro sd card installed in your phone). In my case it shows the phone internal storage (just under 12gb), and my 64gb micro sd card. 5) When you're finished, eject the items as normal on the Mac first, then press the 'disconnect storage from PC' button, the Android logo will go green again and you can remove the usb cable.

Now, the next time you want to connect you skip steps 1 and 2 and start at step 3.

Reactions: peps1
Upvote 0
If you don't want to actually change the way the phone uses the usb connection you connect as follows:

1) Make sure usb is unplugged. 2) Go into Settings, Wireless & Network, USB utilities and press the 'Connect storage to PC' button. It will now tell you to 'Connect USB cable to use mass storage'. 4) Plug in the usb cable. The green Android logo will come up and you then press the 'Connect USB storage' button at the bottom. The Android logo turns orange and you're connected (same as the post above).

I prefer the first way I described because it's less long winded.

Upvote 0
Just upgraded to ICS and it not working anymore :(

Followed the prevoise steps

1) Make sure USB is unplugged.

2)Go into Settings, Applications, Development - there should be two options showing, 'USB debugging' and 'Allow mock locations'. Tick 'USB debugging' then back out of settings to the home screen.

3) Plug the phone into the Mac. In the notification area it'll show a usb logo and tell you usb is connected. Drop down the notification window and select the 'USB connected' section. It will then take you straight to the USB mass storage section (the one with the green Android logo with a usb arm).

When i get to no.3 it doesn't take me me to the green/orange droid anymore, just a screen with with MTP or PTP (MPT is ticked)

Upvote 0
Just go to Settings, click on 'more' (right under Data usage), then USB utilites,
Then click 'Connect storage to PC', and only then you connect your USB cable!!
When cinnected you watch and read your screen, in order to finalize connection!!!

I've got ICS as well and a mac and it works just fine!

And........... don't tell me when disconnecting your phone, you just unplug the cable???
Noops!! First on your mac, in Finder you Eject your 2 Galaxu USB disks one by one! Then, when vanished you push on your Galaxy Note screen to disconnect; ONLY THE you unplug your cable unless you want to let your Galaxy Note charge....
This is the only right way to go about!!

Grtz.

Upvote 0
Question of downloading the free app 'Wheres my Droid power?' from the Google Play store; start monitoring the apps consuming your battery....
Plus UNinstall apps thar keep on consuming power via background services; download the free app 'System Panel Lite' for that. Then check which apps have nested themselves among the core android services; uninstall those apps no matter if they are your favorite apps.
Get rid of different launchers if you use any! I had Go Launcher eating my power!
By doing all of this, including switching off GPS, BT, etc when you don't need them, you'll see your GN will perform better and better! Mine works with standard Samsung TouchWiz now...

If all off this doesn't help, you could consider a full reset but mine didn't need that...

Success!

Upvote 0
I am new on here, so not sure where i am meant to post, but i have a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S11. I can no longer use the Mass storage to transfer media from my phone to my pc. It use to connect as a removable device as soon as i connected it to my computer, now nothing... I follow all instructions, to use the usb mass storage, but it just keeps telling me to remove the usb, then add it, then i hit connect, then it asks me to add usb, then to remove it. Can anyone help me, or direct me to where i need to go... Thanks...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones