• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't Use Voice to Text in Text Messaging Apps

Evan78

Lurker
Apr 26, 2010
I tried to use the voice to text feature while composing a text message and it doesn't work. When I press the microphone button on the keyboard, the recording box pops up but there's a mic in the middle with a red slash through it and no speech seems to register.

I downloaded the Handcent SMS app and had the same problem.

Voice commands seem to work fine elsewhere on the phone, I don't know why it doesn't work in SMS apps.

Any ideas?

This happens at the same time as the "silent call"issue. A phone restart has fixed this for me temporarily. It has been happening about twice a day.

This has happened on both Photons I've had. Sprint tech support has had "lots" of calls on this issue, and none that I've talked to, (and I've talked to at least 5), has heard of an imminant OTA update that will resolve these problems.

At day 29 I will return my 2nd Photon.... ;-(

I tried to use the voice to text feature while composing a text message and it doesn't work. When I press the microphone button on the keyboard, the recording box pops up but there's a mic in the middle with a red slash through it and no speech seems to register.

I downloaded the Handcent SMS app and had the same problem.

Voice commands seem to work fine elsewhere on the phone, I don't know why it doesn't work in SMS apps.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones