• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't use wireless on flights anymore

MLS1985

Lurker
May 27, 2017
Hi,

I could use the Qantas entertainment app while flying (and I fly a lot). I could turn on airplane mode and wireless still stayed on so I could connect to the airlines app to watch movies etc ...but since the beginning of the year turning on airplane mode doesn't allow me to keep wireless on. I have spoken to HTC we rebooted my phone and it worked for a while but went back to no wireless. They said it was because of the new software update. I have complained to HTC via emails but there has been no response. I can't be the only constant traveller effected by this. Does anyone know if this will be fixed by HTC / can some one help me to fix it with out rebooting and does Samsung phones has the same issue?

Thank you

So the phone connects to all other WiFi no problems? What about other airlines' WiFi, does it connect there? Problem with this issue, can only actually prove it when one is on the aircraft in flight. Unless HTC is willing to work with Qantas aircraft engineering?

Hopefully there's someone else reading this, who's got an HTC or something taking flights on Qantas. Anyone going to or from Australia?

My phones have always connected no problems though. And I fly quite regularly as well, but have never been rich enough to want to use in-flight WiFi.
f2bfc88fc63e262e8ebf839cc8b9417d.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My understanding are that you cannot use WiFi in flight mode, switch of flight mode to us WiFi. Flight mode means no communication for my M9 and all other mobile I have used last years.
Anyhow research studies have confirmed that mobile and air plane are no problem but it will still take many year before this info are what we hear when enter air plane.

Upvote 0
My understanding are that you cannot use WiFi in flight mode, switch of flight mode to us WiFi. Flight mode means no communication for my M9 and all other mobile I have used last years.
Anyhow research studies have confirmed that mobile and air plane are no problem but it will still take many year before this info are what we hear when enter air plane.

Yeh you can use the phone's WiFi in flight mode, here's my proof from previous screen-shot...

IMG_20170530_002832.jpg

I've never known a device that can't, and can use Bluetooth as well while it's in flight mode.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
thanks for your responses

I have tested my mates Samsung phone and once I changed it to flight mode I could still tap on wireless and wireless connected to the plane's entertainment app. So I know other phones work.

It is frustrating to know HTC's wireless signal doesn't work in flight mode, because I use to love HTC but now not so much.

I can't believe there is no solution for this and that other people aren't complaining about this

Upvote 0
I have a more updated software so I am guessing it's the actual phone even though HTC said it was the software that doesn't allow you to be on wireless in flight mode

thank you very much for all your help

It seems to me that HTC haven't been much help to you as it's clearly not a 'software problem' unless it's specific to certain versions, including yours, which they should be in a position to advise you about. In any case, if it was a software problem I wouldn't have expected it to work after rebooting, even for a short time, as you pointed out in your original post.

It seems odd to me that according to HTC your software version "doesn't allow it" yet my M7 and M9 can both have WiFi on in Airplane mode as can Hadron's M7 and M10. Unless it's specific to your carrier.

I have been disappointed with the response from HTC Support over a couple of issues in the past, and get the feeling that it depends to a great extent who you end up speaking to. Some are very helpful and others just try to brush you off with comments like you got about it being "the software doesn't allow it". I find it so frustrating/annoying.

:oops:

Just a thought, have you tried a 'Wipe cache partition"? It has cleared a number if weird issues for me over the last 4 years or so on my M7 and M9, particularly after software updates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems to me that HTC haven't been much help to you as it's clearly not a 'software problem' unless it's specific to certain versions, including yours, which they should be in a position to advise you about. In any case, if it was a software problem I wouldn't have expected it to work after rebooting, even for a short time, as you pointed out in your original post.

It seems odd to me that according to HTC your software version "doesn't allow it" yet my M7 and M9 can both have WiFi on in Airplane mode as can Hadron's M7 and M10. Unless it's specific to your carrier.

I have been disappointed with the response from HTC Support over a couple of issues in the past, and get the feeling that it depends to a great extent who you end up speaking to. Some are very helpful and others just try to brush you off with comments like you got about it being "the software doesn't allow it". I find it so frustrating/annoying.

:oops:

Just a thought, have you tried a 'Wipe cache partition"? It has cleared a number if weird issues for me over the last 4 years or so on my M7 and M9, particularly after software updates.

Hi Tommo

All technology products customer service/help line/ chat lines are hit and miss. Its the way of the world really. Its just bloody annoying when something that makes my work life a little bit more enjoyable doesn't work.

thanks for the advice I will wipe the cache see if that works

Upvote 0
Quite a bit late on this since posted but the above happened to me recently and was complete frustration while flying. The following worked for my Telstra HTC One M9 android V7.

1. Download/install the ADB binaries for you PC OS.
2. Put the phone into developer mode and enable USB Debugging while it's connected via USB cable.
3. Open a command prompt on the PC and from the folder created in step 1 run command "adb devices". Authorise the PC on the phones screen popup and re-run "adb devices" to confirm device is authorised.
4. Run the "adb shell" command.
5. Run "settings put global airplane_mode_toggleable_radios wifi,bluetooth,nfc,wimax" command. This tells android which devices can be toggled on/off while airplane mode is on.

Hope this helps and should work on most devices.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I have problem,its mobile data not working,,,please help me,,,htc one m9
Is this anything at all to do with the topic of this thread, or just that your data is not working?

If it's not about WiFi use on planes could you start a new thread for your question, since it's confusing to raise something different here. And please provide as much information as you can, not just "it's not working": has it ever worked, have you changed phones/providers/SIM cards recently, are you having any other problems, etc. But as a general suggestion I'd say check your APN settings (Access Point Names, in the mobile data settings) and check with your provider that there isn't an issue with your account or indeed their systems (for anything more we'll need to know more about the problem).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones