• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't view DLNA content on S8

jshoe22

Nov 11, 2010
On all my previous Galaxy phones I was able to go into Gallery, Music Player, etc and play DLNA content from my NAS. This option isn't in the apps on the S8. Where do we go for this? The answer is not Samsung Connect as you cannot view the NAS via the app. It doesnt show in Nearby Devices since it's on the LAN, not wireless or BT. Where do we go now? Thanks

I've had a good look at this and found this floating around:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203895/

It would appear Samsung may have removed that ability, some have said to uninstall all updates on the gallery app and go to the store and disable updates. You should then see the correct options within the gallery app.

Other than these all I could recommend is using the app I suggested as I'm quite sure this would be able to do what you want. (Although not 100%)

Upvote 0
Taking into consideration there are multiple apps that don't see your NAS, this sounds more like something tied to a network issue. If your S8 itself isn't detecting the presence of your NAS for whatever reason, you might want to focus on some Settings option in your S8 and/or your home network instead.

Assuming you've already restarted both your router and phone, if you go into your router's setup menu is there anything out of sorts with your S8 (as compared to your other devices)? If you have your NAS set up with an assigned IP address, try giving your S8 an assigned IP too. You might also want to try disabling IPv6 in your router's settings and see if that makes any difference.
On your S8, if you delve into its Settings menu, look around for anything relative to 'networking' and to 'sharing'. Samsung loves to add lots of tweaks and such so this could just be a matter of enabling some random option. Also, if you have any kind of firewall app check that, or if you have any anti-virus/anti-malware app try disabling all its features as a test, those kind of utilities are notoriously bad at creating connectivity quirks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones