1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't view my phone's pictures??

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by kitters, Apr 11, 2016.

1. kitters

kitters Lurker
    None

Apr 11, 2016
    Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 and I use an SD card in it to store my photos and music, etc.
    I'm finding that any pictures or videos I saved (from sites, that I took myself, etc.) since the 4th of April aren't working properly.
    The thumbnail will show up in my gallery but when I try to view it properly, it doesn't let me view it.
    I tried to move the pictures onto my computer but it won't show up properly or send them across.

I tried moving one of these 'broken' pictures but it broke even more. I moved one of the pictures from my SD card back to my device and then the thumbnail didn't even show up in the gallery.

I'm really confused.
    I often go through my phone to delete unwanted items so I'm scared that I may have deleted something that caused this to happen..

Please help asap !!!

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    How old is the card and where did you buy it from?

The reason I'm asking is that a very common scam is to "fake" SD cards: buy cheap, low-capacity cards and hack them so they report a higher capacity than they really have, then repackage them and sell them as high-capacity cards. Of course this doesn't change the actual capacity of the card, so once you exceed the real capacity of the card you start to suffer data corruption. This is extremely common on eBay, but not limited to there.

How do you tell whether your card is real? There's an app called SD Insight that can help. An acid test is to put the card in a card reader, plug it into a PC and run a program called h2testw - back up the card before doing this though, as it will test the card by trying to fill it up.

If this is what's happened then I'm afraid there is no way of recovering the lost data. All you can do is back up what is still readable, buy a card from an reliable seller (a bricks and mortar store, or somewhere with a good returns policy like Amazon), and test the new card before use.

I think it's very unlikely it's anything you've done. Unless you've rooted the phone you cannot uninstall system software, and writing to SD isn't going to depend on any user-installed apps (the things you can uninstall).

tube517 and mikedt like this.
  3. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Is your sd card brand new or did you take it from your previous phone.

Hadron and mikedt like this.