• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't write back to /system/etc

Jackal1011

Lurker
Oct 20, 2010
Hi,

I am a noob so please be kind. I have added a new location to the HTC Sense weather widget via the file WPDB.zip as explained in the below URL:

[GUIDE] Add custom city to HTC Sense Weather - PPCGeeks

My problem is writing this file back to /system/etc . My phone is rooted and when using root explorer, I make /system/etc RW and am able to delete the original file but this is where things get strange. The free space displayed at the top goes from 34MB to 0k, right after deleting the file. When I then try to copy and paste the modified file to this location, it of course says there is not enough free space.

I then tried making /system/etc RW and simply overwriting the file with the new version, same thing, free space lists as 0k and it says not enough space.

I've also tried setting RW on the location via root explorer and pushing via ADB and this has the effect of rebooting the phone. Copying the file from the sdcard while in the ADB shell also doesn't seem to work.

Sorry for the long-winded post, hope someone can shed some light on this.

J

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones