1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't write to SD card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Volt9000, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Volt9000

Volt9000 Member

I feel like a complete moron. I've searched high and low and I CANNOT find a solution to this problem.

I recently purchased a 32GB microSDHC card for my phone to store my music, pics and videos. I popped the card in, it was instantly recognized, prepared and mounted. But I couldn't write anything to it, either by saving photos directly to the card using the camera app or by creating folders and moving files using ASTRO Explorer. However, if I remove the card and plug it directly into my computer using a card reader, I can write to it no problem.

I tried formatting the card on both the phone and PC, and I *finally* got it working, although I'm still not sure how. I then rebooted my phone recently, and once again my write permissions have been revoked.

What the hell is going on? Why is this phone refusing to write to the card?

And no, the card doesn't have a write protect slider on it. In fact, I'm sure that no microSDHC card does.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Volt9000

Volt9000 Member

I should specify I'm running stock 4.0.4 ICS, unrooted.

3. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

The only thing that I can think of is you might have the external SD Card encryption option seleced on the phone. (MENU>SETTINGS>SECURITY>ENCRYPT EXTERNAL SD CARD).

4. Volt9000

Volt9000 Member

Thanks, but that definitely is not it. I checked that before posting.

An update--
    Yesterday I (accidentally) upgraded to JB 4.1.1, and after the reboot, I can now write to the card. To be honest I don't know if it's the upgrade or the reboot that did it (last time it was the reboot that helped) but I'm glad that it's working now.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews