• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Capacitive Button Sensitivity

changstrom

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
For some reason the four buttons at the bottom aren't as sensitive as the touch screen. When tapping on icons on the touch screen, i can pretty much just use my finger nail, but to get the button on the bottom to consistently respond, I have to push and hold with my entire thumb. Anyone else have this problem? Is there some way to turn up the sensitivity? Thanks.

I think the active area for the capacitive buttons is smaller than on some devices (certainly the case compared to the Evo), so you have to be a bit more precise in where you hit.

If I "thumb" the buttons they respond less reliably than with a fingertip. I've missed more than a few times, but its obvious that they are responding when actually hit. It would be nice if the active area for each button was a bit larger.

Upvote 0
Yeah, so I'm coming from the Evo, and the capacitive buttons on the Epic is horrible compared to the Evo.

On the Evo, it was so flawless from the start, that I never even imagined it could go wrong.

On the Epic, this was one of the first things I noticed. The slight touches on the Evo doesn't work on the Epic. You have to press harder, and you have to press more accurately. And even then it doesn't always work! It's driving me insane and this is the only thing that's disappointing me about the Epic.

(Plus, the vibrations from the capacitive keys make an audible buzz, but this is only a minor complaint)

Not sure if it's with all Epics and people just accept it? If any of you are coming from the Evo, I'd like to get your take on this.

Upvote 0
I agree. I noticed this yesterday when I got mine right away. I started thinking mine was faulty. I'd like to give this phone a chance but small things are starting to add up, (no flash either, charger on top the phone,gotta tap screen for buttons to light up at bottom)..

set your button timeout to match that of your screen turning off.
and the charger being on top is a good thing, imo. when charging it in the car you can just put it in a cup holder or something and the phone still sit correctly instead of upside down or something.

full flash is coming with 2.2

Upvote 0
Count me in also. Not happy with the capacitive buttons coming from an Evo. You have to basically hold you finger down. The Evo has the best capacitive buttons I have ever used, they are flawless. With all that being siad, the Epic grossly outperforms the Evo. Hopefully there will be a fix. I know some claim to not have this problem, but it seems to be clear this is no anomaly.

Upvote 0
set your button timeout to match that of your screen turning off.
and the charger being on top is a good thing, imo. when charging it in the car you can just put it in a cup holder or something and the phone still sit correctly instead of upside down or something.

full flash is coming with 2.2

Where is this located in settings? I see keyboard timeout under sound and display, but not button.

Upvote 0
For some reason the four buttons at the bottom aren't as sensitive as the touch screen. When tapping on icons on the touch screen, i can pretty much just use my finger nail, but to get the button on the bottom to consistently respond, I have to push and hold with my entire thumb. Anyone else have this problem? Is there some way to turn up the sensitivity? Thanks.

It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Out of the 5 Epics I got yesterday, 1 had capacitive buttons that rarely worked, 1 had buttons the kinda worked, and 3 worked awesome. If I didn't have access to so many, I would have probably just thought that it was normal. The buttons on the 3 working phones work at the lightest touch.

Upvote 0
Honestly I think that this is not a flaw of the phone, but a good thing. The capacitive buttons are suppose to be a little bit more "difficult" to press than the touchscreen it self, why? because you wouldn't want that area to be "too" sensitive to your touch otherwise you will be pressing them all the time, even when you don't mean to.

I think that if your also experiencing lag on these buttons, the best thing you can do, is to also advise what process or what you also had running in the background, because there that this is a new phone we would like to really isolate the issues by tracking its stress peaks.

Upvote 0
Honestly I think that this is not a flaw of the phone, but a good thing. The capacitive buttons are suppose to be a little bit more "difficult" to press than the touchscreen it self, why? because you wouldn't want that area to be "too" sensitive to your touch otherwise you will be pressing them all the time, even when you don't mean to.

I think that if your also experiencing lag on these buttons, the best thing you can do, is to also advise what process or what you also had running in the background, because there that this is a new phone we would like to really isolate the issues by tracking its stress peaks.

If you ever used an EVO, it has perfect implementation.

Reactions: grindstoneslave
Upvote 0
I will try get a hold on someone who has it, I wanted that phone but no stock made it :mad: for me....

Now can you give us some context of what you were doing while it happened? This way if there is a Bug to report we have context.

Sorry, I don't understand your question. What was I doing? Nothing, just switching between screens or going back in a program. I can reproduce it every time I pick up the phone. It is just how it is. I'm sure Samsung is aware because they have this problem on all Galaxy S phones.

Upvote 0
Like some Epic users, I too was having a problem with the sensitivity of my Capacitive Buttons, AND my phone key pad - I couldn't even dial "1"! Nor could I press the keys to answer the phone, or hang-up!

This concerned me so much (in case I needed to dial 911, I'd be screwed!), I called CS (on another matter, brought this issue up too) and while on the phone with her and tech support for over an hour - we may have found a solution! As so far (knock on wood) it's now working just fine - as are the Capacitive Buttons - perfect! :)

1) Turn off phone

2) Take out your battery for a full 2 minutes (I took mine out for 3 mins, for good measure ;))

3) Replace battery and then fire up phone.

This solved my problem on the touch screen key pad, as well as with the Capacitive Buttons, so maybe this will help anyone else out there having the same issue. Good luck - now time to go play with my phone! :D

Reactions: gme109
Upvote 0
My phone had a bad back button sensitivity. All four buttons had different haptic feedback (strongest to lightest) home, menu, search, back. Back button worked if I pushed hard, or rub, or press and hold but I shouldn't have to adjust to the phone because it doesn't work like it should.
So I took it back to the store and the manager said it was a well known issue and one of his demo from samsung had the same thing. He offered me a new phone so I powered it up and tested the buttons before swapping it out.
Now everything works like it should and I can feel same haptic feedback on all 4 buttons.

If you are having problems with capacitive buttons, take it back.

Upvote 0
So I went to the sprint store today to try out the capacitive buttons on the display model, and I could get them to work fine the first time, every time, whereas with the one I had received, I would usually have to try twice or hold it down. I told the sprint guy about my problem and he tried my phone but didn't have any problems getting the buttons to work, but I asked for an exchange anyways. The new phones capacitive buttons work great. If you're having this problem, I would check out the display model or something, it's great no longer having to worry about whether or not you have to push the back button again.

Reactions: geekofagirl
Upvote 0
So I went to the sprint store today to try out the capacitive buttons on the display model, and I could get them to work fine the first time, every time, whereas with the one I had received, I would usually have to try twice or hold it down. I told the sprint guy about my problem and he tried my phone but didn't have any problems getting the buttons to work, but I asked for an exchange anyways. The new phones capacitive buttons work great. If you're having this problem, I would check out the display model or something, it's great no longer having to worry about whether or not you have to push the back button again.

I purchased my phone at a RadioShack since I needed an instant rebate instead of a mail in rebate. Can you do a swap like this at a Sprint store anyway? Is RadioShack able to do a swap in store? I guess I could wait till tomorrow to call and find out, but thought I would try and find out tonight. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones