• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Capacitive Button Sensitivity

I purchased my phone at a RadioShack since I needed an instant rebate instead of a mail in rebate. Can you do a swap like this at a Sprint store anyway? Is RadioShack able to do a swap in store? I guess I could wait till tomorrow to call and find out, but thought I would try and find out tonight. :)

No you must go back to that Radio Shack. I tried to swap out my Evo for the Epic and they refuse to help me. They told me since the district manager or whoever was at a meeting out of town, I'll have to come back tomorrow. Only she could approve the swap, which piss me off.

I'm just glad the Sprint CSR did all she could to help me out. I had to go to Best Buy and open up a second line to get my Epic. Now I have to go back to Radio Shack tomorrow to cancel my first line.

As for my new Epic, i'm loving it so far and quickly adapted to the buttons. I don't just lightly touch them like I do on the Evo. I actually have to touch it a tad longer, and it's no big deal.

She told me not to leave the store if they gave me the same BS again because if I leave and my 30 days are up, I'm stuck with 2 lines.

So if you need to swap out your phone, you must go back to that store, and if they give you the same BS they gave me, just stay there and call Sprint. Radio Shack have some stupid policy.

Upvote 0
I took mine back for a replacement, had two technicians look at it, and they said it worked "9 out of 10" times. It was actually worse than that, and they were pressing harder than normal. They said they couldn't give me a replacement because the phone is fine. I'll just return it and pay the restocking fee, I guess.

Upvote 0
I took mine back for a replacement, had two technicians look at it, and they said it worked "9 out of 10" times. It was actually worse than that, and they were pressing harder than normal. They said they couldn't give me a replacement because the phone is fine. I'll just return it and pay the restocking fee, I guess.

They told me the same thing. Mine is not so bad, but Samsung has really dropped the ball here. How these things get past QC is beyond me. I may by another one outright from Amazon. I know they will not give me a hassle to return it.

Upvote 0

1. First, I think Sprint has a 30 day money back guarantee on everything, so assuming you openned up a new line, don't you dare let them charge you a restocking fee.

2. Second, originally the Sprint guy was hesitant to swap my phone, but the point is, who cares if it works for them, they aren't the ones that are going to be using the phone for the next two years. My advice is this, go to a couple stores and try out the display model. If you can get the display models to work easily, but not your own, tell them so and ask for the swap. If you have the same problem with all the display models you try, then you'll know its just something you have to get used to. Honestly though, the later will probably not happen, because the buttons on my new phone work pretty good, it only misses the lightest of taps.

Upvote 0
I guess everyone's experience is different. I don't know what is acceptable with this phone. I can only judge it based on the capcitive buttons on the EVO. So can anyone tell me if they are supposed to work like the EVO capacitive buttons?

I think part of the problem is that there is also a small delay from when you press the button to when it executes the command. The EVO was instantaneous.

Upvote 0
Can people who say theirs work perfect explain how you hit a button. Do you lightly tap it with the tip of your index finger?
I barely tap my new phone and it responds. The one I exchanged I definitely had to press down harder for the buttons that worked and nothing I did would make the other two buttons work. This new phone is very sensitive. Just a very light touch.

Upvote 0
I went into a sprint store to check out an epic on launch day... the buttons on the display model were almost unusable. The Sales guy had figured out a way to get the buttons to respond... I think he was swiping across the buttons instead of just pressing them.

I said that sucks so he pulled another phone out of the box and showed me that it was just an issue with the display model.

I'd say check out the phone you will actually be taking home before signing on the dotted line.

Upvote 0
Just so I'm not missing something...since

a.) some people have issues with their capacitive buttons not responding well (in particular the "back" button)

and

b.) users have reported that they have had to exchange their phones a number of times until they got a unit that worked appropriately.

this is definitely a hardware issue?

I only ask because there used to be an issue on the Evo where if the phone was on a surface like a pillow or bed, the touchscreen would become very unresponsive. Thanks to an ota update, the issue was resolved. Anyone know if there's a good way to determine whether this issue can be resolved with some kind of update?

Upvote 0
Just so I'm not missing something...since

a.) some people have issues with their capacitive buttons not responding well (in particular the "back" button)

and

b.) users have reported that they have had to exchange their phones a number of times until they got a unit that worked appropriately.

this is definitely a hardware issue?

I only ask because there used to be an issue on the Evo where if the phone was on a surface like a pillow or bed, the touchscreen would become very unresponsive. Thanks to an ota update, the issue was resolved. Anyone know if there's a good way to determine whether this issue can be resolved with some kind of update?

I would assume it is possible. It should be possible to increase sensitivity and lower the delay. I think the delay is just as much of a problem here.

Upvote 0
Like some Epic users, I too was having a problem with the sensitivity of my Capacitive Buttons, AND my phone key pad - I couldn't even dial "1"! Nor could I press the keys to answer the phone, or hang-up!

This concerned me so much (in case I needed to dial 911, I'd be screwed!), I called CS (on another matter, brought this issue up too) and while on the phone with her and tech support for over an hour - we may have found a solution! As so far (knock on wood) it's now working just fine - as are the Capacitive Buttons - perfect! :)

1) Turn off phone

2) Take out your battery for a full 2 minutes (I took mine out for 3 mins, for good measure ;))

3) Replace battery and then fire up phone.

This solved my problem on the touch screen key pad, as well as with the Capacitive Buttons, so maybe this will help anyone else out there having the same issue. Good luck - now time to go play with my phone! :D

I'll be damn, it worked!! My capacitive buttons are a lot more responsive.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
It didn't work for me. I can't even imagine why it would work

I tried it the other night and decided to try again thinking maybe I didn't leave the battery out long enough. This time I took the battery out for 3 minutes and tried to power the phone on without a battery in it. THen waited another 2 minutes before putting the battery back in. I made sure not to be touching the phone at all and took off the phone case, but alas...still have the capacitive button issue. :mad:

Upvote 0
Count me in also. Not happy with the capacitive buttons coming from an Evo. You have to basically hold you finger down. The Evo has the best capacitive buttons I have ever used, they are flawless. With all that being siad, the Epic grossly outperforms the Evo. Hopefully there will be a fix. I know some claim to not have this problem, but it seems to be clear this is no anomaly.

If your capactive buttons don't respond at times or lag.....Take it back and get an exchange. I had the same problem with my first epic,very little people are having these problems which are noticeable on forums if you google it.
This is what made me take the epic back for an exchange.
As other people like me, they exchanged the epic and the new epic phone the capacitive button problems went away;) Lucky for me the best buy in my city had epics in stock that were not reserved:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones