1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Capacitive.. or... What?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ProgramIchiban, May 16, 2011.

1. ProgramIchiban

None

Apr 27, 2011
    Does the lg optimus v REALLY have a capacitive screen? Or am I just used to the iPod capacitive screen? I noticed that pressing down with moderate pressure with the back of a pen or pencil will cause the screen to capture the movement. I also noticed that my Optimus V pocket dials A LOT. I was wondering if anybody else noticed this?

Advertisement

2. Thorsten

Thorsten Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Are you trying to get people to damage their phones by poking at their screens with random hard objects?

That's because your pockets are full of slimy, disgusting sweat, you pig. ;)

Seriously, though: just you a tiny bit of common sense and lock your phone's screen before putting it in your pocket. Jeez!

3. rockneo

rockneo Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Ask stupid questions get stupid answers:

WALALWALALWALALWALALA.

4. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    ACTUALLY, the ORIGINAL question was:

Does the lg optimus v REALLY have a capacitive screen?

The ANSWER: Yes, it's capacitive, but its a plastic screen, not glass.

5. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    If the material you press with is flexible, and can develope a piezio electric charge due to compression, it will register on a capacitive screen.

6. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    This is about the only thing I like about my defunct iphone more than my Optimius V. I really love the feel of the screen under my finger.

7. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    US
    Yes, this is a capacitive touch screen, just not glass like greg4android said. If it was a resistive screen you'd notice that you have to push down two layers together, this phone does not. You can change the page while barely touching the screen. If this was a resistive touch (which is flat-out stated as being capacitive in the specs) than it's the nicest resistive touch screen I've ever seen as resistive screens are usually a lot more difficult to deal with.

Oh and by those layers, it would be stupid obvious.

8. lizm

lizm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Easy fix :)

9. agianne

agianne Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    The screen is glass according to LG's official Virgin Mobile support forum - Optimus V screen: Glass or Plastic - LG Forum

10. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't care what the FORUM says, The freaking screen is PLASTIC !

If you can't tell the difference between plastic and glass, something's wrong....

Checked several other forums on this . . . its NOT GLASS. Its more of a "reinforced plastic"...more like fiberglass (but not really fiberglass, since fiberglass is not totally clear).
    Another forum (howardforums) stated "tempered glass" under a layer of "reinforced plastic"....Whatever it is, the layer your are TOUCHING is plastic, regardless of whether there is a "glass" layer undernearth. Rub it with a papertowel and see if you dont get scratches!!!!!!!!!

11. Thorsten

None

Mar 19, 2011
    If it is on my V, it must be covered by another (substantial) screen made of plastic. (And no, I'm not talking about screen protectors, which I don't use.)

Try the following steps:

1. Tap your phone's screen gently with a fingernail.
    2. Similarly tap a bunch of objects around you that you know to be made of glass (e.g., windowpane, drinking glass, mirrors, CRT in an old-timey TV)
    3. Tap a bunch of objects you know to be made of plastic (your computer case, mouse, what have you)
    4. Repeat until you notice a pattern.
    Still confused? ;)

12. agianne

None

Mar 15, 2011
    I'm not confused. I'm just laughing at your totally un-scientific, ma and pa backwoods "test". That's just embarrassing. :rolleyes:

At any rate, I've performed your "test" and its pretty obvious that the screen is glass.

13. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    PC Tech Owner Affordable computer repair.
    New Jersey
    It is not glass,i have a ipod touch 4G, now that is glass and you can tell the difference.

14. agianne

None

Mar 15, 2011
    I clean my screen with a paper towel and windex all the time and I have none of the scratching one would expect from cleaning plastic with a paper towel.

Most of the stuff posted on these forums are opinions or mis-conceptions that have been re-stated so many times people think they are facts. Checking forums is not a reliable way to get an authoritative answer. I'm totally unimpressed with your rationale as a result.

Screaming doesn't make you right, it just makes you loud. Prove that you're right. Show me a link to an authoritative source that proves your point.

If it is in fact a dual layer glass/plastic screen, then you're wrong too. (Notice that I didn't resort to super large letters to make that point.)

15. ProgramIchiban

None

Apr 27, 2011
    Rofl lots of fighting going on. I just wanted to know if anyone else was getting the same effect as I do when I press on the screen. I mean obviously its not resistive, I knew that. I was just wondering what makes it different from the iPhone or iPod touch. I never got to feel the true screen on my phone. I handed my box over to a guy at Phantomskinz as soon as I bought it. I didn't even open the box.

16. Thorsten

None

Mar 19, 2011
    Hardly. If you had hands-on experience with science, you should know that tasting, smelling, and touching can be perfectly valid scientific tests.

Now that doesn't make sense. If my test were in fact useless, you couldn't draw any

17. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    I have an Optimus V (plastic-ey material) versus an HTC Inspire (glass screen).

The screens are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Tapping the screens is TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

My finger glides over the GLASS screen on the INSPIRE.
    On a PLASTIC screen on the OPTIMUS V, a little resistence is offered.

If you are gonna compare, have TWO cell phones together (one with a KNOWN glass screen).....TAP ALL YOU WANT, the screens are totally different!

18. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't have to state sources anywhere to prove anything.

I have two phones sitting right beside each other.

an HTC INSPIRE with a GLASS SCREEN, and a LG OPTIMUS V with a screen of a "plastic" nature.

the screens are made out of totally different materials. Call the OPTIMUS screen what every you want, but IT IS NOT GLASS

19. rwinvt

rwinvt Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    What the :thinking::eek:. Who told you that? This is the Innerrnet!!! How else you gonna figure out who is right?

You some kind of noobie? :D

Some people here don't know their glass from a hole in the ground!!!

( Not sayin' who, just sayin) :cool:

20. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Capacitive touch screens are built of layers, the substrate is most often glass, then a thin coating of a conductive material which is typically indium tin oxide, then a very thin cover layer which can be glass or plastic.

So most likely, yes, the Optimus V has a glass and plastic touchscreen. ;)

21. OverBoard

OverBoard Member
    None

May 13, 2011
    The topmost layer that comes into contact with your finger is plastic.

To really settle this, someone needs to take a broken Optimus V and use a sharp knife to produce plastic shavings. By holding the blade at a perpendicular orientation to the screen and scratching it back and forth until material is scraped off.

22. secrecyguy

secrecyguy Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    Back to the original posting, yes, I notice the same thing.

23. secrecyguy

secrecyguy Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    Bad choice! I use a screen protection on my phone. You never know what could happen. It also offer some protection from breakage. It also increase the value of the phone if you decide to sell it.

24. greg4android

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    At this point, does it REALLY MATTER what the screen is made out of?

You should always take measures to protect your screen, no matter what's made out of.

Buy a screen protector, and use common sense when using and touching your phone's screen.

If the query was a PRE-SALES question, then I could understand needing a firm answer on the question......but the debate seems to be between people who ALREADY have this phone.

So, if you don't like what the phone's screen is made out of, take it back and get a refund, and stop squabbling! :(

25. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    This has been gone over so many times I am actually surprised there is someone out there who thinks it is glass. Go to lg's website and chat or email support about this and they will tell you it is a fiberglass screen. Ask Sprint support, since the V is the same as the S and they will tell you the same thing.

Whomever said fiberglass is not clear is incorrect. Fiberglass is not just one material, it is a generic name for plastics that are mixed with fibers of other materials. The name of the product is then named fiber(whatever the reinforcing material) in this case, glass. Another name often used is glass reinforced plastic. So they take plastic and interweave glass fibers. It makes the screen tougher than plastic, won't crack as easily and is a little less prone to scratches. These screens will still scratch though and are absolutely not glass screens.

Glass-reinforced plastic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags: