• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate and Mac

bake

Jul 31, 2010
Hey guys and gals, I was trying to decide if I wanted to get a Captivate and get rid of this iPhone 3GS I have. I'm almost ready to jump ship, the only concern I have is if the Captivate and more importantly Android as a whole will play nice with my Macbook Pro. I want to get most if not all of my music from iTunes on the phone. I had heard something about having a hard time with ROMs on the phone with a mac, any explanation for that? Just trying to get all my bases covered, thanks in advance!

Cool, thats good to know. Any problems with rooting the phone on a mac? I wasn't sure if that would be different.

Rooting seemed to be a lot easier if you asked me on a Mac. Everyone on Windows has to worry about which OS they are on, and if its 32 vs 64bit. The whole thing was pretty painless for me. The only difference comes when you are in terminal, and editing files on your phone. All the guides say "adb...", and on Mac the only difference is using "./adb...".

So for example:
Win - adb push
Mac - ./adb push

If you have any issues rooting, just be sure to reread everything, contact the OP or contact someone with a Mac.

As for music, I use doubletwist, and it gets the job done. Not as appeasing to the eyes as iTunes or using an iPod, but if you want your music, it's a way to go

Upvote 0
Also, in case you run into the issue where the Mac won't show the Cappy, you might have to put it in Debug mode. To do this, go under settings->applications->developer and check "debug mode." At first my Cappy wouldn't show up either on my iMac or in Doubletwist, but for whatever reason this fixes it.

___ i tried this and my mac will pick up the phone, but it won't in itunes, do u kno how to fix this?:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones