• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate/Android Media Scanner/Playlists

MOPhiPsi

Lurker
Aug 20, 2010
I am having an issue with my M3U playlists.

I use the default Samsung media player, Isyncr and Itunes. Although I have also used the Doubletwist Player (not the desktop software) and had the same issue, I just prefer the Samsung default player mainly because of the lock screen app.

Here is the issue.

First, I sync my playlists with Itunes using Isyncr, all of the songs come over great, art and tags, everything is perfect. It also creates M3U playlists on my phone. I double checked that everything is there.

Then when I unmount, media scanner scans my SD card (which takes way longer than it should) and it deletes all of my playlists. Now a little research on XDA forums tells me that this is because anytime the media scanner scans a playlist and can't find all of the songs from that playlist, it assumes it is an old playlist and deletes it. The problem is that when I look through the M3U files, every song referenced in the list is on the card...they are all there, yet it keeps deleting them.

Does anyone know of a solution to make it stop deleting my playlists?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the stock media player doesn't recognize .m3u playlist files (sadly). However, my personal work-around solution to that was to use an mp3 tag editor to make my own "Playlists" Basically, I would edit the Album tags and tack number tags. It's a little extra work at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not really so bad.

Upvote 0
It's weird because it recognizes the M3U playlists fine IF Media scanner doesnt delete them. I had the same problem with DoubleTwist, it would recognize the M3U lists that were there, but the media scanner keeps deleting them.

Anyway, it's not a matter of something recognizing or not recognizing them. If I look at the SD Card prior to unmounting, they are there, once i unmount and media scanner runs, it deletes them and they are not there.

Sometimes it leaves them alone, when that happens they appear in the Samsung Media Player. The next time media scanner runs it will usually delete all but one or two, and the next time another one...and so on...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones