• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate buttons, very annoying

shark974

Aug 18, 2010
I'm pretty happy with the phone, though I hope the GPS fix works as advertised when it comes, and overall the phone is a bit laggy/unresponsive at times.

But here's my biggest issue, the home/back etc buttons on the bottom. Especially the back button, which is a crucial one. Basically, I usually have to tap the back button 3-4 times before it "registers". I cant tell if I'm missing it, not applying enough pressure (sometimes I have to tap pretty hard, which doesn't seem right) or what.

Also, I cant tell if it's really me not gelling with the buttons well, or they're actually bad.

The thing is they work, they just aren't responsive enough to me. But again I cant always tell if maybe it's a combination of my button pressing style and the buttons. I mean they consistently work, yet when I'm not focusing on them, it almost always takes me multiple presses to trigger them. Also when using my index finger it ALWAYS takes multiple taps, many times i can sit there tapping with my index finger ten times and nothing, it's like dead glass. With my thumb I'm better at it.

I showed my brother the problem, he has an Evo. He said the Captivate buttons were fine, you just have to hit them in the right spot. But then again although he said that, when he plays with my Captivate I notice him absent mindedly having to tap the buttons repeatedly as well despite what he says.

I also think some of the problem could be lag, in that maybe sometimes the buttons dont register cause the phone is frozen for that split second that you tap it.

I dont understand why there isn't more talk about this. I remember a lot of reviews dinged the Nexus One for imprecise buttons, but from what I recall at the least it was no worse than the Captivate. Yet no reviews mention the Captivate buttons.

My brother has an Evo, and by contrast those buttons are near perfect imo. Always work, feel totally different, and theyre easy to see.

I read one post on here about the buttons, somebody said some back buttons have a misplaced sensor. Maybe mine has this? Dont like any of the buttons but back seems the worst.

It really sucks, spoils an otherwise great phone for me.

So, any thoughts/similar experiences? Should I return it? I'm out of 30 days so I'd have to get a replacement on warranty.

At first with mine I had that issue until I got used to it. You kinda need to hit the button slightly above the icon and having the vibration feedback is REALLY helpful, because you know you actually hit it and that it is working on going to the home screen or going back. Which is a lag problem. Also, do you have Advanced Task Killer? Because this actually creates lag, I've noticed, when going into applications and I'd suggest uninstalling it to see if you notice a difference. But, I do still find myself having to hit the button once more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones