1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

captivate database low on storage

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by irelandspud, Sep 22, 2011.

1. irelandspud

irelandspud Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    My Samsung Captivate getting "database low on storage". Phone practically freezes up. Is there any way I can free up memory(include procedures) without doing a Master Reset as suggested by AT&T. Phone was receiving text msg when it decided to run low on memory. Can I free up some memory by connecting phone to PC?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, Tater ;)

Your best advice will always be provided by users of the same handset, which in your case can be found in Samsung Captivate - Android Forums.

Seeing as how I've got a Captivate, I can help you out with that. When the message database grows to a specific percentage of the remaining available storage space you'll get that warning. The quick fix is to free up internal storage on your phone by either deleting some apps you don't want or need, or going into menu>settings>applications>manage applications and clearing the caches of the bigger apps. Usually it will be maps and the browser, but depending what you have on your phone, you could have other apps using a lot of space for its cache.

Long term, what you want to do is go into the messaging app and press menu>settings and make sure you have limits set for text and multimedia messages and make sure you have it set to delete old messages. That way the database will never grow beyond a certain point. One caution, if old text messages are important to you, you will need to back them up periodically or they will be deleted PERMANENTLY once that limit is reached. If you don't care about old messages, then just set the limits now and it should reduce the size of your database as new messages come in.

irelandspud likes this.
  3. irelandspud

irelandspud Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks a million Tater! Although running very slow, I was able to get into manage apps and clear brower data and cache areas. My message limit was set to 200 max per conversation.
    May I ask you for a backup program recommendation?

Thanks again.....Ron

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I use Titanium backup bot that is for rooted phones. I suggest you hit up the Captivate forum for non-rooted recommendations.

irelandspud likes this.