• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate Endless Reboot?

cmhock

Lurker
Jul 20, 2010
Anyone else hit this yet .... got an endless reboot cycle on my captivate this morning.

- not rooted
- no side loaded apps
- worked fine this morning
- checked e-mail - notice that acct did not exist for work e-mail that was synched with corp exchange. Had been working fine since Sunday.
- Tried power down, and got stuck in endless cycle of reboots.

I had removed Advanced Task Killer app last night - saw in other forums that this may have been an issue.

recovered by hard reset.-- Steps to get to recovery menu in stickied thread on rooting the phone.

After reboot apps I had downloaded were gone - as expected, but some personalized stuff -- icon locations, etc -- seemed to be kept after hard reset.
Added back work exchange acct and on synch after a few minutes started power cycling again. :(

Tried hard reset again.
After hard reset - picked Factory Data Reset from Privacy Settings.
After that boot, stock icons and screen locations were back.
Thankfully I had exported my contacts after editing and linking gmail, phone and exchange yesterday. Those imported fine.

Tried adding back Google and WorkExchange accts for synch and so far seems ok. :cool: After a bit I'll start adding the few apps that I want installed.

On the chance this happens again, anyone recommend some good backup utilities for Android? Seems to be a ton, but I'd like some first hand recommendations/reviews since this forum seems pretty knowledgeable and active. Free is good, but paid apps if more polished and reliable are worth mentioning too.

Hope this helps anyone else who may hit this situation.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones