1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Captivate Firmware Update Question?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RonH54, Nov 26, 2010.

1. RonH54

RonH54 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I plugged my AT&T Captivate into USB this Morning and got a Message that there is a kies update. When I go to Settings and Search for update is shows there not one. So my question is are there 2 types of Firmware checks? One for AT&T things and the other kies? I am new to all this so bear with me.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. btswein

btswein Well-Known Member

Let the "FROYO IS OUT!!!" comments ensue!

To answer your question, I don't think so. Unless OTA would be from AT&T and a Kies update would be from Samsung?

3. RonH54

RonH54 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks for reply. How can I find out what this new kies update does, not sure I want to update unless there is something in the update that I think I need.

Thanks

4. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    If you are using the full version of Kies (downloaded from another countries samsung site) . Dont run the Kies update or you will not be able to use it anymore.

If you are using Kies Mini (downloaded from the US site) then its probably just a minor update. which is ok to run.

5. btswein

btswein Well-Known Member

Samsung doesn't release 'release notes' for most things. I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player and HDTV and have never gotten release notes for their Firmware updates either.

6. RonH54

RonH54 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I just have got whatever Kies that came with my AT&T Captivate in USA that I got 1 week ago.

7. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    then it is just a minor update for the kies mini software, nothing to worry about :)

edit: i believe my copy updated itself a couple days ago if not last week.