• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Captivate Froyo root?

prexium01

Dec 2, 2010
So I've been trying to root my Captivate 2.2 Froyo.. I've done the manual CMD update.zip method, and the 1-click method.. and each time when I tell my phone to install, it tells me "e signature verification failed". does anyone know a method that won't do this? And yes. I've checked. The update is named "update.zip" not "Update.zip" or "update.zip.zip" I'd really like to get this rooted so I can install Cog, but I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ok. Thanks! So just download the app. Back it up... flash back to 2.1... root, then flash to cog?

EDIT: Titanium says it needs root lol.
hmmm good point. there is a one click root app somewhere for 2.2 but i dont remember what it was. it was on xda somewhere and i think it was called super one click or soemthing like that

Upvote 0
yes titanium backup backs up all your apps and their data. so itll save all your levels and email accounts and all of that stuff.

Thank you. If we don't have the official 2.2 on or before the Nexus S launch day I am going to flash a rom. Which do you all recommend? I do not want a lag fix nor do I want to flash a new rom every week, our even every month. I appreciate your feedback.

Upvote 0
Thank you. If we don't have the official 2.2 on or before the Nexus S launch day I am going to flash a rom. Which do you all recommend? I do not want a lag fix nor do I want to flash a new rom every week, our even every month. I appreciate your feedback.

cognition is good if you dont use bluetooth, as it has static but that will likely be fixed in the next update. its very stable. but it does come with a lagfix, this however can be easily disabled if you dont want it.

perception is good, i think its only bug is no home button haptic feedback, which will likely be fixed tomorrow as build 9 is coming out. it too uses a lagfix but can be disabled the same as cognition. the dev put out a teaser on build 9 tonight and it is running 2.3

they both use voodoo, which is the best lagfix out. to disable it all you do is add a folder inside the voodoo folder and name it "lagfix-disable" im 99% thats right, and it will disable it. it may be "disable-lagfix" i cant remember off the top of my head

but anyway maybe someone else knows of another rom not using a lagfix

Upvote 0
cognition is good if you dont use bluetooth, as it has static but that will likely be fixed in the next update. its very stable. but it does come with a lagfix, this however can be easily disabled if you dont want it.

perception is good, i think its only bug is no home button haptic feedback, which will likely be fixed tomorrow as build 9 is coming out. it too uses a lagfix but can be disabled the same as cognition. the dev put out a teaser on build 9 tonight and it is running 2.3

they both use voodoo, which is the best lagfix out. to disable it all you do is add a folder inside the voodoo folder and name it "lagfix-disable" im 99% thats right, and it will disable it. it may be "disable-lagfix" i cant remember off the top of my head

but anyway maybe someone else knows of another rom not using a lagfix

Thanks man! I did some more reading and I think I'm going with Assonance since I read it is really stable and it's the closest to vanilla android. I think I'm going to do it before I said I would...as in tomorrow.

so why would you want to disable the lagfix? is it the source of other problems?

I just don't want what I think I don't need. Plus, I remember lag fixes negatively effected official updates more than root or flashing did...if I remember correctly. Also, I don't like how the lag fixes mess with the file system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones